• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:49:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

HOTs

Started by Ron Sower, January 23, 2020, 12:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...how are you guys doing with the new models?...are good for intermittent clean up use?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 23, 2020, 12:45:58 AM
...how are you guys doing with the new models?...are good for intermittent clean up use?...

..it's submersible so it's not really the work horse the old version was......the original was easier to move around.....when I use it I plop it in the 130 with floss/carbon.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...Mugs, so you use it mainly for an incidental cleanup?... I'm looking for something extra to get out the debris that builds up between water changes...right now with the move, a lot of the plants are struggling and there is still debris left that I don't get out during the siphoning....I'd like to use it like I used to use the Vortex filter...is that what you use yours for?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 23, 2020, 06:09:47 AM
...Mugs, so you use it mainly for an incidental cleanup?... I'm looking for something extra to get out the debris that builds up between water changes...right now with the move, a lot of the plants are struggling and there is still debris left that I don't get out during the siphoning....I'd like to use it like I used to use the Vortex filter...is that what you use yours for?...

...no, I just run it in the 130 as an auxiliary.....I use my three Diatoms for cleaning/polishing the water...I can move them around easily with an extension cord... :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 23, 2020, 06:15:14 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on January 23, 2020, 06:09:47 AM

...no, I just run it in the 130 as an auxiliary.....I use my three Diatoms for cleaning/polishing the water...I can move them around easily with an extension cord... :)
|^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I don't use mine.  I just don't like them.  I bought 4 of them and gave 3 to my LPS.  They use them from time to time.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 23, 2020, 08:16:25 AM
I don't use mine.  I just don't like them.  I bought 4 of them and gave 3 to my LPS.  They use them from time to time.

.... |^|
Jon

Ron Sower

... what didn't you like about them?....I just want something for intermittent cleaning...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 23, 2020, 09:15:58 AM
... what didn't you like about them?....I just want something for intermittent cleaning...

..my 2cents.....they are run immersed.....and messy moving to other tanks....not like the old HOT that hangs on the tank..... plus they just don't seem as strong  huh
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 23, 2020, 09:29:20 AM

..my 2cents.....they are run immersed.....and messy moving to other tanks....noy like the old HOT that hangs on the tank..... plus they just don't seem as strong  huh
...thanks...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 23, 2020, 09:31:04 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 23, 2020, 09:29:20 AM

..my 2cents.....they are run immersed.....and messy moving to other tanks....noy like the old HOT that hangs on the tank..... plus they just don't seem as strong  huh
...thanks...

I have one in my 150 full time. I change the cartridge every water change. It help keep my water clear in that tanks. Like Jon and Liz I am not a big fan but since I have it I might as well use it.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Thanks for your answer, Mug.  They are just a huge PITA.  They're too messy when it;s time to clean the cartage

wsantia1

I have 5 of the old type that I use to clean up tanks that I pulled the HOB's from. To avoid/reduce the possibility of cross contamination I use each HOT on a designated group of tanks.     
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 24, 2020, 10:04:05 AM
I have 5 of the old type that I use to clean up tanks that I pulled the HOB's from. To avoid/reduce the possibility of cross contamination I use each HOT on a designated group of tanks.   

Thank heavens that 'Big Al's' still carries parts..... |^|...for now anyway  huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have 2 still working and several that I can't figure out why don't work.  I use them on my 100 gallon Discus tanks.