• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 151
Total: 153

Tuesday things

Started by Mugwump, January 21, 2020, 04:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..whatcha got going on folks ?  huh

...some water changes here this morn'n...then ?..I need to check the calendar...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..errand done, water changes done, and even a big load of wash all done.... :)

.....just putz'n now  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

I'm betting that Willie's jury duty is in the Senate today...?.....LOL
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 21, 2020, 05:15:43 PM

I wish. I managed to get excused from a murder trial but I am back in the general pool. I just checked and I am scheduled once again tomorrow. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 21, 2020, 05:27:44 PM

I wish. I managed to get excused from a murder trial but I am back in the general pool. I just checked and I am scheduled once again tomorrow. huh

...that sucks....in Illinois when you show up when called, and get excused, other.....you're done for the year.......
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 21, 2020, 05:36:38 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on January 21, 2020, 05:27:44 PM

...that sucks....in Illinois when you show up when called, and get excused, other.....you're done for the year.......

A lot of it depends on the county here. We have a small county here so they don't have as many folks to pull from. On the plus side they treated us very nice. When I was in a NYC jury they treated us kind of crappy.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I had my LPS order a dozen Sterbai for me.  I picked them up today.  They are sure cute little guys.  They play all the time!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

We love our sterbai's too........fun to watch and pretty little things to boot..... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Have you bred yours yet, Mug.  Mine are still just little guys but that's my future plan.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 21, 2020, 06:23:23 PM
Have you bred yours yet, Mug.  Mine are still just little guys but that's my future plan.

...yes...when we catch 'em doing it.....unlike sane cory's these little rascals lay all over the place...one egg at a time.....LOL....even hidden under leaves..spronge filters, hob heater lift tubes, etc...LOL
Jon

LizStreithorst

I guess the time to net them is when the female is sucking the semen from the male.  (eeeww).  I'll stick them in a 10 gallon when they do the deed.  Does that sound right to you?

Mine are just little guys, an inch and smaller.  Do they grow fast?  At what size or age are they ready for me to start watching for breeding behavior?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 21, 2020, 06:56:37 PM
I guess the time to net them is when the female is sucking the semen from the male.  (eeeww).  I'll stick them in a 10 gallon when they do the deed.  Does that sound right to you?

Mine are just little guys, an inch and smaller.  Do they grow fast?  At what size or age are they ready for me to start watching for breeding behavior?

..a 10 is great....when/if you can catch them at breeding time.....they don't spawn as many eggs as regular cories....note:..they are also one of those cories hard to ship when bigger...they are one of that species that emits a poison when frightened/stressed.....it can sometimes kill them in shipping bags...or smaller tanks....

"The Amazon River, and other bodies of water where cories are found, is home to a wide variety of freshwater species, many of which prey on the corydoras and other small fish. Though corydoras do belong to the "armored" family of catfishes, this armor does not completely protect them from predators. Observations of the corydoras has revealed that, after evading predators, the fish often fall still. This is thought to be a form of cryptic behavior – this refers to the ability of an organism to avoid detection by predators and other organisms. It has been argued, however, that many species of corydoras do not have cryptic coloration and not all of them exhibit this behavior.
Another defense mechanism that has recently come under study in regard to corydoras is their ability to "self-poison". This means that the fish is able to release toxins when under extreme stress – though the toxin is designed to deter predators, it often has lethal effects for the fish. Many aquarium hobbyists have experienced this phenomenon without knowing it – they purchase corydoras at the pet store only to find that the entire group of fish has died in the bag on the way home. In 2002, an aquarium hobbyist and writer named Ian Fuller, documented this strange behavior in a pair of Sterba's Cories (Corydoras sterbai) being exhibited at the Catfish Study Group Open Show in England. The female of the pair was observed releasing a cloudy mucus from the base of the left gill plate. Fuller replaced the tank water and the pair made a full recovery."

.."Applying This Information

Understanding the habits of corydoras catfish is the first step to applying the information to your own care of these fish. Though corydoras are not typically exposed to predators in the aquarium hobby, the hobbyist himself can pose as a sort of threat. The process of netting, bagging and transporting can be very stressful for fish and may induce self-poisoning behavior. The strength of the toxins released by corydoras varies from one species to another, but it can be very lethal to a group of fish in a small bag being transported from the aquarium. In its natural habitat, the fish would swim away from the area after releasing its toxins – this is not possible in a plastic bag and its escape efforts may even be limited in the home aquarium. As a result, the fish are affected by their own toxins – they typically stop breathing and die within a few minutes.

Because the whole process happens so quickly, there may not be anything you can do. If you catch the problem early enough, however, you may have time to transfer the fish to a tank of clean water to facilitate their recovery. Often, the first signs include small bubbles forming at the edge of the water's surface. The fish may also breathe rapidly, though it is more common for their breathing to slow down or stop. To prepare for this problem, it is a good idea to bring a second container of water with you when transporting your corydoras. If you notice bubbles forming on the surface, or if the water begins to turn yellowish or cloudy, transfer the fish to the new water for the remainder of the trip."
Jon