• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:12:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 151
Total: 152

NEW PAIR

Started by ghonk, January 05, 2020, 07:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

That's a lot of babies Greg! Good for you |^| |^| |^|
Joel

ghonk

I forgot how much work it is to raise albinos.
They aren't feeding like my albino dantums did.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a  TOTAL disaster.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 12, 2020, 05:00:13 PM
I forgot how much work it is to raise albinos.
They aren't feeding like my albino dantums did.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a  TOTAL disaster.

...'green water'....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

You got this Greg! Goodluck!
Joel

ghonk

Might have 50 albinos that are feeding enough to make it,wish the % was higher but it is what it is.

As long as I don't end up with a bunch with no ventals from hugging the bottom it was worth the PITA so far.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 16, 2020, 05:09:43 AM
Might have 50 albinos that are feeding enough to make it,wish the % was higher but it is what it is.

As long as I don't end up with a bunch with no ventals from hugging the bottom it was worth the PITA so far.

..... |^|...nice job....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Likely disaster.
Looks like the albinos aren't going to have any ventrals,unless they are just slower to develop which I doubt   
I kept the hang on box pretty clean,don't know that the hell happened.

Have a new batch,either going to pull them from the box sooner or try raising them in a 10.
Wonder if the PLASTIC box is causing it,being  rougher VS the glass of a tank bottom.

I DIDN'T have this problem with the albino dantums,raised them in the box and they were fine.

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 29, 2020, 01:32:22 PM
Likely disaster.
Looks like the albinos aren't going to have any ventrals,unless they are just slower to develop which I doubt   
I kept the hang on box pretty clean,don't know that the hell happened.

Have a new batch,either going to pull them from the box sooner or try raising them in a 10.
Wonder if the PLASTIC box is causing it,being  rougher VS the glass of a tank bottom.

I DIDN'T have this problem with the albino dantums,raised them in the box and they were fine.

,,,that sucks......
Jon

Babers

Wonder how Martin raised his fry? Are you able to replicate what he did with them?

I raised albinos before in those hang on plastic box and they did fine. I was planning on doing the same set up when time comes.....but idk. Maybe just luck on my part that one time.
huh
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on February 29, 2020, 02:31:46 PM
Wonder how Martin raised his fry? Are you able to replicate what he did with them?

I raised albinos before in those hang on plastic box and they did fine. I was planning on doing the same set up when time comes.....but idk. Maybe just luck on my part that one time.
huh

I've heard of folks raising albinos in a shallow dish til they were eating well...... huh
Jon

Babers

Didn't hear that.....but make sense. Probably same as artificially raising discus and using egg yolk smeared on waterline to feed then in the first few days.  huh
Joel

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2020, 04:24:34 AM
Quote from: Babers on February 29, 2020, 02:31:46 PM

huh

I've heard of folks raising albinos in a shallow dish til they were eating well...... huh

Getting them to feed is just part of the problem.
Had 50 or more that ate enough to survive.
Only 2 of those have vental fins that are good.
Think I will move them out of the breeder box sooner and see what happens.
Wish I had a smaller tank then a 10,hopefully they will be able to find the food.

The albino Dantums did much better in the box,possibly the blues were weaker and hugged the bottom more.

The bacteria will screw them up at a YOUNG age,before you would even think their ventals would be forming.
Paul Simon

ghonk

Last spawn was a BUST,larger amount of bad eggs likely led to bacteria and they were spinners.
  Will probably  spawn again in a few days.
Paul Simon