• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

My planted Discus tank

Started by LizStreithorst, November 11, 2019, 06:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 14, 2019, 11:13:12 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 14, 2019, 03:22:00 PM
The iron is the biggest problem.  I had iron in my well water once before we got community water.  It turned my white laundry yellow-brown it was so bad.  Is your iron that bad?  I honestly don't know how many PPM of iron Discus can handle, but I could find out if you like.  The biggest thing wrong with your pH is that ammonia is more toxic at higher pH.  You would have to do daily WC of around 30% for adults depending on the stocking level.

It is worse than that. Everything that is supposed to ne white is brown, Toilets, shower etc.  If I fill a new tank with water it is cloudy for a day and then there is a layer of iron on the bottom. I put fresh water in a bucket for fry water changes and the inside of the bucket has iron so thick that it flakes off in big chunks. I am on a well and septic system and already have had septic problems once so I am not about to get an RO unit with all the waste water they produce.

..when we lived out in the old farm house we had the same thing......everything turned brown....we added (2) heavy duty filters to the incoming to help keep the clothes , etc a bit better....then used bottle water to drink/cook.....it helped some but that water ruined a lot of clothes and things.....those filters did help a bunch with the smell tho...

...lotsa filter changes....lots....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You're right, then.  Discus can't live in water like that.  I'm surprised that any fish can.
Always move forward. Never look back.