• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 10:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

BSP confirmed male.

Started by waterboy, November 01, 2019, 12:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

I did it. I did it........found a male BSP. He paired up with a Blue Silver het in a grow out tank and started cleaning a filter tube.  I moved them to their own tank and they spawned, and I have wigglers.  Not many and only about 10% hatchout, but they are wigglers.  Out of about 50 BSPs and HETS I have this is the first confirmed male. I've had several spawns where eggs all turned white. Blamed them on female-female pairs but who knows. I had just about given up on these BSPs but now I will keep them a little longer.  Put them in a 2-1/2 gallon. Now all I have to do is get them to stay alive and grow.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 01, 2019, 12:53:08 PM
I did it. I did it........found a male BSP. He paired up with a Blue Silver het in a grow out tank and started cleaning a filter tube.  I moved them to their own tank and they spawned, and I have wigglers.  Not many and only about 10% hatchout, but they are wigglers.  Out of about 50 BSPs and HETS I have this is the first confirmed male. I've had several spawns where eggs all turned white. Blamed them on female-female pairs but who knows. I had just about given up on these BSPs but now I will keep them a little longer.  Put them in a 2-1/2 gallon. Now all I have to do is get them to stay alive and grow.

...Congrat's Dale.....maybe between the others that I got from you ...and yours...we can get this line going right....woo hoo  :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I really hope so. But as reluctant to spawn as these things are I think there is going to have to be some serious out-crossing done. I have known females with some other males but so far no action. I sure hope your pair is productive.
Dale

wsantia1

Quote from: waterboy on November 01, 2019, 01:13:53 PM
I really hope so. But as reluctant to spawn as these things are I think there is going to have to be some serious out-crossing done. I have known females with some other males but so far no action. I sure hope your pair is productive.

Congrats Dale. We all know how much hard work you have been putting these BSPs. Fingers crossed for them to grow out for you. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 01, 2019, 01:13:53 PM

..... |^|...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Bad news and Good news.
Bad news....Turns out the BSP is the female in this pair so I still haven't found a confirmed male. Other bad news is I only have two survivors left from the first spawn.
Good news.....They spawned again and I have a 2-1/2 gallon tank swarming with baby Angels, looks like they are eating too. There should be roughly 25% BSPs in the spawn.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 18, 2019, 11:55:41 AM
Bad news and Good news.
Bad news....Turns out the BSP is the female in this pair so I still haven't found a confirmed male. Other bad news is I only have two survivors left from the first spawn.
Good news.....They spawned again and I have a 2-1/2 gallon tank swarming with baby Angels, looks like they are eating too. There should be roughly 25% BSPs in the spawn.

...outstanding !......good work, Dale  :)
Jon

waterboy

I am still waiting for a BSP - BSP pair to happen so I can get all BSPs.  This 75% het - 25% BSPs business is just taking forever to get anywhere. Did have a BSP female spawn with a Blue Zebra male but the wigglers all died. Another one spawned with a Zebra and I have plenty of those youngsters. I need to get rid of some of the hets. I have been so afraid of getting rid of the only potential breeders that I am afraid I have them overcrowded and that is partially why they have been so reluctant to pair up.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 18, 2019, 02:42:15 PM
I am still waiting for a BSP - BSP pair to happen so I can get all BSPs.  This 75% het - 25% BSPs business is just taking forever to get anywhere. Did have a BSP female spawn with a Blue Zebra male but the wigglers all died. Another one spawned with a Zebra and I have plenty of those youngsters. I need to get rid of some of the hets. I have been so afraid of getting rid of the only potential breeders that I am afraid I have them overcrowded and that is partially why they have been so reluctant to pair up.

...I know...'damned if you do, damned if you don't.... huh
Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Babers

Joel

Babers

Went to the GCCA this morning and saw Jon and Jan. It's always nice seeing both of you.

Anyway, I went there specifically for one reason......To get one fish.....been looking for him.....finally found him....here's the picture....I'm very excited!!!
Joel

Mugwump

....and it looks better in person.....one sweet looking guy... :) |^| :)
Jon

Babers

He settled in fast. Enjoying his new home and eating great. Can't wait til he's done with quarantine. Got a few females he can choose from. Lucky guy  :D w!w
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on January 13, 2020, 03:37:25 PM
He settled in fast. Enjoying his new home and eating great. Can't wait til he's done with quarantine. Got a few females he can choose from. Lucky guy  :D w!w

...I'll be following this to see how he does.....looks like a winner  |^|
Jon