• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 156
Total: 157

I had albino snots

Started by LizStreithorst, October 28, 2019, 01:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I don't know who mama is but daddy is a red pupal albino.  He was starting letting he kids to leave the cave.  It wasn't like it is with Angels where they all mutiny.  The kids leave when they are ready.  I saw one snagged by bigger fish so I took the cave, dad and the remaining kids out and put them all in the tank where I'm raising blue shrimp.  Right now I have 6 white baby snots stuck to the aquarium glass as well more, still in the cave with dad.

There is just 1 brown snot in the entire batch as far as I've been able to see.  How can it be that I have a whole bunch of red pupal albinos and just one brown.  It seems to go contrary to Mendel's law.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 28, 2019, 01:43:33 PM
I don't know who mama is but daddy is a red pupal albino.  He was starting letting he kids to leave the cave.  It wasn't like it is with Angels where they all mutiny.  The kids leave when they are ready.  I saw one snagged by bigger fish so I took the cave, dad and the remaining kids out and put them all in the tank where I'm raising blue shrimp.  Right now I have 6 white baby snots stuck to the aquarium glass as well more, still in the cave with dad.

There is just 1 brown snot in the entire batch as far as I've been able to see.  How can it be that I have a whole bunch of red pupal albinos and just one brown.  It seems to go contrary to Mendel's law.

...because whoever the other mate, it was likely a brown carrying an albino gene.....there should have been a few more browns but then I've had 'throw backs' too with one of a strain....like a black in a Koi spawn...yada yada..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Got it!

I'm so glad that I had the brains to take the cave with dad and most of them in it and put it in a tank where they would have no problems with predators.  I have a brown daddy in a cave with eggs in the same rainbow fish tank.  When the time comes I think I'm move their cave to my planted Discus tank.  Domestically bred Discus from Asian stock suck as predators.  Even when I threw some little red shrimp into their tank they didn't eat them.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 28, 2019, 03:35:48 PM
Got it!

I'm so glad that I had the brains to take the cave with dad and most of them in it and put it in a tank where they would have no problems with predators.  I have a brown daddy in a cave with eggs in the same rainbow fish tank.  When the time comes I think I'm move their cave to my planted Discus tank.  Domestically bred Discus from Asian stock suck as predators.  Even when I threw some little red shrimp into their tank they didn't eat them.

I've mentioned that before.....when Dad is in the cave tending...move the whole cave to a 5/10 gal.....you'll get max results....I do all bn spawns that way,,,,,
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I am sure that you are right, Mug.  But I the smallest tank I have available is a 29.  Besides, I don't want to crank them out.  I want to see how they can do with my existing fish.  It's more fun that way.  I do have a 30 gallon red shrimp than that has 6 neons in it.  I might move them into that tank.  Next time I get a batch they're going in with the Discus. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 28, 2019, 03:48:07 PM
I am sure that you are right, Mug.  But I the smallest tank I have available is a 29.  Besides, I don't want to crank them out.  I want to see how they can do with my existing fish.  It's more fun that way.  I do have a 30 gallon red shrimp than that has 6 neons in it.  I might move them into that tank.  Next time I get a batch they're going in with the Discus.

.....cool beans.... :) w!w :)
Jon

waterboy

I have found that just about everything likes to eat the babies, I even had a large guppy go after them once. The "move dad and cave" seems to be the best option.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on October 28, 2019, 11:14:57 PM
I have found that just about everything likes to eat the babies, I even had a large guppy go after them once. The "move dad and cave" seems to be the best option.

.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'm sure my neons in the shrimp would eat them too.  They'll eat shrimp as well, but their's so much cover in that tank with all the drift wood, anubias, java moss and subwastertang in that tank that even the shrimp are multiplying like crazy.  I guess I could take them back to the LFS but I'm going to see how it goes, first.  I'm going to wait until my brown daddy's eggs start wiggling before I move them.

LizStreithorst

Y'all have no idea how much of a kick about watching and counting my little snots.  I've seen 25 in the gravel and on the tank walls.  Daddy still has a good many in the cave with him.  You were right, Mug.  Quite a few more are brown.

After I posted this morning the brown daddy's eggs started wiggling.  I moved their cave to the red shrimp tank with the cave toward some subwassertang.  I'm looking forward to who they do.  BTW. when I shined the light in the cave I saw mostly albino babies.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 29, 2019, 06:31:41 PM
Y'all have no idea how much of a kick about watching and counting my little snots.  I've seen 25 in the gravel and on the tank walls.  Daddy still has a good many in the cave with him.  You were right, Mug.  Quite a few more are brown.

After I posted this morning the brown daddy's eggs started wiggling.  I moved their cave to the red shrimp tank with the cave toward some subwassertang.  I'm looking forward to who they do.  BTW. when I shined the light in the cave I saw mostly albino babies.

...then both parents carried the albino gene.....if their eyes are red...
Jon