• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 10:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,311
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 176
Total: 177

Plat Spawn

Started by wsantia1, August 26, 2019, 09:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..yup...12hrs.....I use plain untreated tap to start with a cap full of peroxide/gallon....treat twice more before stopping just before wigglers....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

This spawn has basically fizzed out. There are probably on 30 or so eggs that didn't turn white. It's a very young inexperienced pair.

I also had a customer who bought his little son with him and the male was more distracted and in a guarding position than taking care of his business.

I wait and see if the remaining eggs turn into wigglers. It will get real messy from there trying to seperate the white eggs from the wigglers without wiping them out. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 28, 2019, 06:29:31 AM
This spawn has basically fizzed out. There are probably on 30 or so eggs that didn't turn white. It's a very young inexperienced pair.

I also had a customer who bought his little son with him and the male was more distracted and in a guarding position than taking care of his business.

I wait and see if the remaining eggs turn into wigglers. It will get real messy from there trying to seperate the white eggs from the wigglers without wiping them out. huh

Well I do have some wigglers. Now to figure out how to separate them from the white eggs. I won't be too disappointed if I lose them because I know for sure that they are a pair. They are getting a nice dose of frozen food now since I'm trying to fatten them up for their next spawn.,
Willie

wsantia1

I looked in on this spawn and all of the wigglers have detached from the slate and are on the bottom  of the tank and the unfertilized eggs (white) are still on the slate.

I have never had wigglers detach from the slate on the first day of wiggling. I dropped a 1/4 tab of the Jungle Fungus Clear in the tank last night so I wonder if that caused the separation.  huh

Anyhow that solves the problem I was going to have in removing the unfertilized eggs from the slate. Hopefully these wigglers are ok. huh
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 30, 2019, 06:31:48 AM
I looked in on this spawn and all of the wigglers have detached from the slate and are on the bottom  of the tank and the unfertilized eggs (white) are still on the slate.

I have never had wigglers detach from the slate on the first day of wiggling. I dropped a 1/4 tab of the Jungle Fungus Clear in the tank last night so I wonder if that caused the separation.  huh

Anyhow that solves the problem I was going to have in removing the unfertilized eggs from the slate. Hopefully these wigglers are ok. huh

..yes, I put my slates, etc. face down...the wigglers form 'da vines' and many just wiggle off to the bottom .....couldn't grab the vine on the way down I guess... :)

..good luck!
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Once again I pulled a spawn from my young plat pair and once again it it has a low fertility rate.

It wasn't worth my time going through with the last spawn that I pulled and the second spawn that they had they ate before I got a chance to pull.

We'll see how may of this spawn turn into wigglers but I'm starting to lose patience with these two.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 03, 2019, 06:15:41 AM
Once again I pulled a spawn from my young plat pair and once again it it has a low fertility rate.

It wasn't worth my time going through with the last spawn that I pulled and the second spawn that they had they ate before I got a chance to pull.

We'll see how may of this spawn turn into wigglers but I'm starting to lose patience with these two.

...I know that feeling..... wfwf
Jon

wsantia1

It looks like I have about 60 wigglers. Maybe a few more. Now to separate the white eggs. huh
Willie

wsantia1

This time I have 2 pairs that spawned. One is a new pair and the other is the same old pair that is not fertilizing most of the eggs. We shall see. I'm not pulling anything just yet.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 15, 2019, 05:30:27 PM
This time I have 2 pairs that spawned. One is a new pair and the other is the same old pair that is not fertilizing most of the eggs. We shall see. I'm not pulling anything just yet.

...good luck !  :)
Jon

wsantia1

The male in the first pair is a total bust. He always only manages to fertilize a few eggs. The female is very attentive to her "white eggs". I still have to check on the new pair's spawn.
Willie