• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 11:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Plat Spawn

Started by wsantia1, August 26, 2019, 09:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I have a very young pair spawning on a slate as I am typing this. It is their 2nd spawn. The first time they spawned on the intake tube just above where the water goes in. They are 6 months old. I am now trying to decide to pull or not to pull.

It's been a while so I will probably pull but I would like to see them raise. I am afraid that at their age they may not be ready. There were three plats in that tank but they beat the hell out of the other one so I moved him out before he was killed.

Decisions, decisions......
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..yank it.....then back to the learner's permit.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Yep. they are yanked and when my customer left he left me with 3 empty tanks so I will have lots of grow out space and 150 dollars more in my wallet. mim mim mim mim mim
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 26, 2019, 11:41:53 AM
Yep. they are yanked and when my customer left he left me with 3 empty tanks so I will have lots of grow out space and 150 dollars more in my wallet. mim mim mim mim mim

...yeah baby..... |^|.....love those visitors too....had the same yesterday but didn't clear any tanks...LOL...but we've got some empties ready when needed  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Critical time now as about 1/3 of the eggs have turned white. We are using H2O2 to keep any fungus at bay so it looks pretty good right now. Hopefully all of the unfertilized eggs have already turned white.
Willie

waterboy

Jungle Fungus Cure tabs that I get at Walmart work pretty good for an anti fungus too.  Use at 1/2 tab per gallon and you don't have to worry about getting it all out when they hatch, it doesn't seem to affect the babies.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wsantia1

Quote from: waterboy on August 27, 2019, 10:43:34 AM
Jungle Fungus Cure tabs that I get at Walmart work pretty good for an anti fungus too.  Use at 1/2 tab per gallon and you don't have to worry about getting it all out when they hatch, it doesn't seem to affect the babies.

Does the Jungle Fungal Cure (JFC) dissipate? The H2O2 only last 24 hours after that I have to redose and can't use anymore after wiggling begins. If the JFC continues to keep the white eggs from getting fungus that would be great.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 27, 2019, 11:02:31 AM

Does the Jungle Fungal Cure (JFC) dissipate? The H2O2 only last 24 hours after that I have to redose and can't use anymore after wiggling begins. If the JFC continues to keep the white eggs from getting fungus that would be great.

I have some Jungle Fungus Clear fizz tabs. Is that the same thing?
Willie

Mugwump

...I think the peroxide might dissipate faster than that...like 12hrs?
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 27, 2019, 11:10:19 AM

I thinks you're right. Been a while since I had a spawn. lol
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 27, 2019, 11:19:40 AM

I thinks you're right. Been a while since I had a spawn. lol
Willie

Mugwump

...might be good as an alternate.....I can still get a big bottle of peroxide for .88 cents tho.....always on sale somewhere...Wallgreen's, wally world, yada yada... :)
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 27, 2019, 11:08:28 AM

I have some Jungle Fungus Clear fizz tabs. Is that the same thing?

Yes that is the same thing. No it doesn't dissipate and it keeps the white eggs from getting fungus. I have left the wigglers in the blue water for a day or two without a problem. I usually put them in a hatching jar after that so they are only in the water with Fungus clear for one or two days.
Dale

waterboy

Does anyone know for sure how long it takes the H2O2 to dissipate? I have heard to use a capfull every 12 hours for anti fungus but never tried it myself.
Dale

wsantia1

Quote from: waterboy on August 27, 2019, 12:09:17 PM

Does anyone know for sure how long it takes the H2O2 to dissipate? I have heard to use a capfull every 12 hours for anti fungus but never tried it myself.

Yep Like Jon said every 12 hours.
Willie