• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 16, 2024, 02:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,299
  • Total Topics: 18,524
  • Online today: 96
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

Rat Poison

Started by LizStreithorst, August 19, 2019, 01:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It turns out that it wasn't rats that hurt the Peamite after all.  It was a failed transmission cable.  But their is evidence of rodents storing provisions under the hood.  Charlotte has the same thing.  I need to put rat poison under the hood and secure it somehow so it doesn't fall out and the dogs and cat eat it.

I hate like hell to use rat poison, but in this case I have no choice.  I know the damage they can do.  I also know that the poison kills by making the animal bleed to death internally.  That is a miserable death for an innocent animal just looking for a bit to eat and a place to hang out.

I've never used the stuff before.  Do you know if it comes in blocks or granules.  If it comes in blocks I might be able to figure out a way to secure it.  Pip, the dog, and Xena the cat both like to hunt and kill.  I've been presented with a dead rat and a dead bunny.  As far as I know they don't eat what they kill except when Xena nails a mouse in the house and all I get is a body with out a head or vice versa.

Do you think that my pets will be safe if I can make this work? 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 19, 2019, 01:37:41 PM
It turns out that it wasn't rats that hurt the Peamite after all.  It was a failed transmission cable.  But their is evidence of rodents storing provisions under the hood.  Charlotte has the same thing.  I need to put rat poison under the hood and secure it somehow so it doesn't fall out and the dogs and cat eat it.

I hate like hell to use rat poison, but in this case I have no choice.  I know the damage they can do.  I also know that the poison kills by making the animal bleed to death internally.  That is a miserable death for an innocent animal just looking for a bit to eat and a place to hang out.

I've never used the stuff before.  Do you know if it comes in blocks or granules.  If it comes in blocks I might be able to figure out a way to secure it.  Pip, the dog, and Xena the cat both like to hunt and kill.  I've been presented with a dead rat and a dead bunny.  As far as I know they don't eat what they kill except when Xena nails a mouse in the house and all I get is a body with out a head or vice versa.

Do you think that my pets will be safe if I can make this work?

...Strychnine isn't my favorite thing to have around the house....but it is effective.....call Terminex and see if the have a safe treatment for cars, etc....  huh

..found a few options here tho............... https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=tus&q=a+safe+treatment+for+mice+in+cars
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks much Jon.  I looked at one that was ultrasonic, but that ultrasonic stuff only works for a short time.   This one is the best choice for me.  It also happens to be cheap which is a big plus.  https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products/mouse-baits/tomcat-mouse-killer-child-dog-resistant-disposable-station?cmp%3Dkid%2FTomcat%2FGoogle_SEM%2FShopping%2FG_Tomcat_Rodent_Shopping_DTC_NonBrand=
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

I have used it Liz, it works and your pets can't get to it.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 19, 2019, 02:28:58 PM
Thanks much Jon.  I looked at one that was ultrasonic, but that ultrasonic stuff only works for a short time.   This one is the best choice for me.  It also happens to be cheap which is a big plus.  https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products/mouse-baits/tomcat-mouse-killer-child-dog-resistant-disposable-station?cmp%3Dkid%2FTomcat%2FGoogle_SEM%2FShopping%2FG_Tomcat_Rodent_Shopping_DTC_NonBrand=

... :)...glad to help.....I only wish I'd known of these when we lived out in the country.....went out to the Jeep on a cold morning to warm it up,,,,started the engine, flipped on the heat/defrost and immediately got a shower of insulation being blown all over the f$%k'n place.....aarrrgggggg..... wfwf
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson