• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 11:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

Cories

Started by Mugwump, August 19, 2019, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...did a cold water change on the cories while we were doing water changes yesterday.....fed 'em bloodworms twice....and BOOMBA!.....LOL what a spawn !

Jan spent an hour trying to get all the eggs....not sure how many....I'll try for a count later after I'm done mowing....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

What kind of cories? The only ones I have that lay a bunch of eggs are Albino Aeneus.  They lay about 100 eggs at a time, I have baby ones coming out of my ears right now.  All the other cories lay a few eggs here and there, but not a lot at any one time.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 19, 2019, 10:35:50 AM
What kind of cories? The only ones I have that lay a bunch of eggs are Albino Aeneus.  They lay about 100 eggs at a time, I have baby ones coming out of my ears right now.  All the other cories lay a few eggs here and there, but not a lot at any one time.

...just the green cories, but the old albino pod can make big dumps too.....Sterbais just go when they want....for some reason we've never separated them into their own tank... huh

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..they're hatching out now..... w!w.......
Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

My Albino Aeneus spawned today too, must be the weather. There must be at least 100 eggs in there. Pulled them and put them in a marina box. three days to more cory babies, just what I need right now, I have 2 2-1/2 gallons, a 10, and a 20 long with the bottoms covered in baby cories.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 22, 2019, 12:56:09 PM
My Albino Aeneus spawned today too, must be the weather. There must be at least 100 eggs in there. Pulled them and put them in a marina box. three days to more cory babies, just what I need right now, I have 2 2-1/2 gallons, a 10, and a 20 long with the bottoms covered in baby cories.

...Great !...congrat's.....they sell well at any swap....5-6 in a bag for $10 has 'em flying off the table....whoosh :)
Jon

waterboy

Yes they do sell pretty good. I usually sell them 3 in a bag for $5 and they usually all get taken.
Dale

wsantia1

I have never bred cories. Need to mark that off of my to do list.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

A female with 2 or three males will get you going. The pet store cories are easiest to get going. Some of the more exotic ones are a little harder.  Fun little critters.
Dale

wsantia1

Quote from: waterboy on August 23, 2019, 11:12:52 PM
A female with 2 or three males will get you going. The pet store cories are easiest to get going. Some of the more exotic ones are a little harder.  Fun little critters.

Thank for that info. Maybe I'll pick up a group this weekend and dump them in a 20g and let them do their thing.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I fed the pod really good this morn'n and the other females in there popped another huge load of eggs all over the glass... ???....Jan's harvesting them now  :)
Jon

Mugwump

There is one black cory in the pod....and he's from our stock....the only one....but I'm wishfully hoping that it is in fact a few more blacks that I see in this spawn....we'll see  huh
Jon

waterboy

I have one like that too. Albino cories, after about 1000 babies found one Black one in a batch.  Put him back into the breeder tank, so far no more.  Probably a genetic anomaly that isn't fertile.
Dale

Mugwump

.....strange, huh?....these don't carry any albino so still hoping for a few.....likely for naught tho.... huh...yup, could just be an anomaly?....
Jon