• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 138
Total: 138

Freeze drien Tubifex worms

Started by LizStreithorst, July 25, 2019, 03:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Does anyone here use them and have you had any problems with them.  I've been feeding Australian Blackworms.  The Black worms can only survive in pristine water while Tubifex can live in sewer water.  They might be exposed to pathogens that can be killed by irradiation but if they're water with heavy metals nothing can get those out.  The fish go for each of them with the same gusto but the tubifex are cheap.  The imported black worms cost an arm and a leg.  All the Discus people are afraid of them, but I'm thinking about switching to them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2019, 03:01:10 PM
Does anyone here use them and have you had any problems with them.  I've been feeding Australian Blackworms.  The Black worms can only survive in pristine water while Tubifex can live in sewer water.  They might be exposed to pathogens that can be killed by irradiation but if they're water with heavy metals nothing can get those out.  The fish go for each of them with the same gusto but the tubifex are cheap.  The imported black worms cost an arm and a leg.  All the Discus people are afraid of them, but I'm thinking about switching to them.

...I've never used them but if..."All the Discus people are afraid of them".....that'd be good for me.....ask Capt Bob tho...he may know a 'clean' source?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm sure he'd being incorporating in to his food If he knew of a good clean source.

Rjb3

How about White worms?

We used to use freeze dried Tubifex worms before I started to make food.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Rjb3 on July 25, 2019, 06:29:29 PM
How about White worms?

We used to use freeze dried Tubifex worms before I started to make food.
...I've farmed white worms before in wooden boxes...the fish went crazy for them...they need to be in cooler temps so I gave them up and now keep Grindal worms which are a bit smaller but grow very well in room temps...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

I raised them in a small refrigerator. What I would call a college size.

LizStreithorst

I guess I need to look in to white worms.  I have a small Fridge that I'm not even using!  Thanks Ron and My Captain.  BTW my flake and pelleted foods are made by My Captain.  I'm picky when it comes to fish food but all my fish love and do well on Bob's freshly made foods.