• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 169
Total: 170

More Dantums.

Started by ghonk, June 21, 2019, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeG

I am not going to be any help but I have been growing some out some Albino Dantums also from Gold Coast Aquatics and I have a few that were sold on Aquabid. They are in a 180 and the oldest should be spawning but may all be one sex. The GCA are a little younger and may still be to young to spawn. I also have some medium size Albino Dantums from Angels plus on the way I am putting in a 100 gal tank.

I was thinking of maybe buying 2 of either the Atabapo or Orinoco Altum from Wattley and get another group of Dantums and grow them together and see what happens in a few years. I only have a 125 for a tank empty. My other 100 has some Albino Blue Pearlscales from Dave Carlson and wanted to mix a couple with the Dantums and hope for a pair.

Lots of Dreams but that maybe a year off they way things are going.

ghonk

Well I think I finally    got a pair of Albino Dantums forming,almost 13 months old.
If so I will add the other 4  to my younger ones at about 9 months,hopefully shake things up and get a non related pair from them.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

ghonk

Paul Simon

wsantia1

Nice looking Dantums Greg. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Thanks Willie and Jon.
They all have their own SPOT,except when the lights go out and then they huddle together like buddies.  ;D
Paul Simon

ghonk

Paul Simon

Babers

Your dantums look great! Won't be long now. Hope you get tons of babies from them
Joel

ghonk

They are being difficult.
I think I have ID'ed 2 females out of the 6,i'm GUESSING the other 4 are males by their behavior  and body shape.

2 POSSIBLE pairs look like they are trying to form.

Here is the problem,it looks like what I think are the males are trying PREVENT the females from spawning.

When they attempt to pick at the slates the other fish chases them away from it.
One that i'm guessing to be male even almost guards the slate. huh

At times they show pairing behavior,at other times what i'm calling males are just showing territorial behavior towards  the females.

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 11, 2020, 05:42:46 PM
I think I have ID'ed 2 females out of the 6,i'm GUESSING the other 4 are males by their behavior  and body shape.

Here is the problem,it looks like what I think are the males are trying PREVENT the females from spawning.

When they attempt to pick at the slates the other fish chases them away from it.

At times they show pairing behavior,at other times what i'm calling males are just showing territorial behavior towards  the females.

..have you tried pulling the 'pairs' to there own tanks?.....too many hormones popping in the pair off tank me thinks.. :)..introducing the females 1st to their respective tanks.... :)

..that way he will be going into her tank... ;)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on January 11, 2020, 05:51:01 PM

..have you tried pulling the 'pairs' to there own tanks?.....too many hormones popping in the pair off tank me thinks.. :)..introducing the females 1st to their respective tanks.... :)

I was trying to let them pair in the tank they are in now,and let them spawm,hoping that it would bond the pair,and then move them to their own tank.

I am debating just pulling a likely pair and see what happens,if they can't get their act together soon that's what I will try.

My FEAR is that they will go at it after the move and beat the crap out of each other.
Martin has a pair that is showing aggression toward each other,or were at one time. 
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 11, 2020, 06:12:15 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 11, 2020, 05:51:01 PM

I was trying to let them pair in the tank they are in now,and let them spawm,hoping that it would bond the pair,and then move them to their own tank.

I am debating just pulling a likely pair and see what happens,if they can't get their act together soon that's what I will try.

My FEAR is that they will go at it after the move and beat the crap out of each other.
Martin has a pair that is showing aggression toward each other,or were at one time.

..interesting...you both have aggressive pairs......,,your dilemma makes sense now......
Jon

ghonk

I think Martin has 3 pairs from his group,i'm going to contact him and see how his are getting along now.

I had what originally looked like a pair,another male GANGSTERED the female.
The rejected male is the one that  now looks like it is trying to pair with the other female,but is also the one guarding the slate and keeping her away.

Paul Simon

Babers

If you separate the pair, you can try putting a divider between the male and female then remove after a week. Just to be cautious.
Joel

ghonk

Pulled a pair of dantums 3 days ago,ZERO aggression so far.
Getting along much better then when I had them with the others.

Still have the other 4 in a 55,split the tank with an eggcrate divider with the likely pair on one side,hopefully they will get along as well as the other pair.
Paul Simon