• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 02:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

More Dantums.

Started by ghonk, June 21, 2019, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

Getting 4 more Albino Dantums from Angels Plus to cross with the 6 i got from Mike Troxell @ Gold Coast Aquatics. 

I assume they haven't had any new blood added to them since they  were developed.
So trying to avoid sibling crosses when possible.

Ideally I want to add from another 2 sources,which would give me 6 possible non sibling cross options.

A-B
A-C
A-D
B-C
B-D
C-D

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 21, 2019, 02:09:02 PM
Getting 4 more Albino Dantums from Angels Plus to cross with the ones i got from Mike Troxell @ Gold Coast Aquatics. 

I assume they haven't had any new blood added to them since they  were developed.
So trying to avoid sibling crosses when possible.

Ideally I want to add from another 2 sources,which would give me 6 possible non sibling cross options.

A-B
A-C
A-D
B-C
B-D
C-D

...I'd be pretty sure that most all are from the original pool.... huh..but if any did out crossed already they would be Mike's.....tho hard to out cross without really knowing what their makeup really is....?..I say Mike because at least he has workable altums......if they were truly in their to begin with... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

I doubt they have Altum blood.
I originally thought they were a high percentage blood Rio Nanay,with the albino gene coming from a domestic.

A guy in Europe,can't remember where, has some albino fish that he claims aren't related to Dantums.
They look very similar to if not identical to them,claims the parents are from 2 different batches of non albino    WILD CAUGHT fish.

If that is true then they are a natural albino/het albino Rio Nanay/Peruvian.
Which would mean that Dantums possibly are also.

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 21, 2019, 03:23:07 PM
I originally thought they were a high percentage blood Rio Nanay,with the albino gene coming from a domestic.

A guy in Europe,can't remember where, has some albino fish that he claims aren't related to Dantums.
They look very similar to if not identical to them,claims the parents are from 2 different batches of non albino    WILD CAUGHT fish.

.....sounds like Corporate sales to me......seems that the Dantum original breeder can't remember where his came from either.....lotta memory loss going on over there... :),,,but good for $$$'s
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

I also have a theory,which I posted about at TAF years ago,and got no reply to it.
That Dantums aren't albino,but rather amelanistic or something SIMULAR.

Which would explain why a cross to a albino domestic produces no albinos in a cross.

There have also been at least 3 reports of Dantums developing dark pigment.
Where they no longer even look albino,including in their eyes.

And then later LOSE the pigment  ,and appear albino again. 

Steve Rybicki had it happen to a group of his,and also Rob from TAF and TAS.

Paul Simon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on June 21, 2019, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: ghonk on June 21, 2019, 03:23:07 PM

.....sounds like Corporate sales to me......seems that the Dantum original breeder can't remember where his came from either.....lotta memory loss going on over there... :),,,but good for $$$'s

Danziger said HIS original  stock  was purchase at a show,if I remember correctly.
Think he said the seller was German or the show was in Germany,so it's POSSIBLE that there was a language barrier,which might be the reason for the confusion of what they were actually suppose to be.

The seller might have been calling them  Altum blood, but meaning Peruvian Altum,which Peruvians are commonly referred  as.     
Paul Simon

ghonk

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 21, 2019, 04:40:12 PM
Albino Dantum Angelfish Mystery.

https://angelsplus.com/blogs/news/albino-dantum-angelfish-mystery

...and it's all speculation.....remember David's 'trademark' bluff...... :)
Jon

ghonk

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Jon

ghonk

Oh okay,i though you might be saying speculation  if they   can gain  pigment where they no longer look albino,and then lose it again where they look albino.

Steve's and Rob's (TAF & TAS) Dantums both did.
I also sold a group and the buyer said his turned dark too,he accused me of selling him FAKE Dantums,and  tried to get paypal to refund him.

The origin will never be known now,if they are a natural mutation of a wild type fish,or a wild X domestic cross.

But there absolutely is something DIFFERENT about them.
Ability to gain a lose pigment to the degree they do,including the eyes.

And also either the albino gene being in a different location or something else going on as to why no albinos are produced in a regular albino cross,which has been proven. 

Paul Simon

ghonk

Got them,1 has a broken anal fin from shipping which sucks.
Other then that I think they are awesome.

Going to call this Line B,for broken fin. ;D

My plan is to cross these with my other ones,Line A.

Paul Simon

ghonk

Paul Simon

ghonk

Paul Simon

Mugwump

..good luck, Greg....let me know what happens... :)
Jon