• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 02:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 180
Total: 180

My new wet dry vac

Started by LizStreithorst, June 06, 2019, 05:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Ive been wanting one ever since my mopping machine died.  I got one with my Amazon Visa card points and I got it FREE!  I'd been saving up points to buy the oven of my dreams but realized I'd never save that many points so I might  as well use up the points I have to buy things that are necessary. 

My little machine holds only holds 2  1/2 gallons so when it fills up I can still lift it and empty it with out stress on my back.  The reviews were all excellent. 

It doesn't say in the book if it was not good to suck up a Chlorox solution in it.  I think that it would be OK as long as I washed it out after I sucked up.  Does anyone know for sure?
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I am guessing it would depend upon if the motor was in getting wet from what it sucks in.
Generally I would not want electric components it get bleach on them. It can oxidize some metals.
Seems like it would be stupid to design them that way, even for normal water.

Plastic parts should be OK.

You could "neutralize" the chlorine in the water first by adding sodium thiosulfate.
Then you'll just have some salt like compounds to worry about. Also not good for electrical components.

LizStreithorst

I'm sure that it would have told me not to do it if it would hurt the motor but I want to be safe.  Sodium thiosulfate is my normal declorinator.  I have lots on hand and a little goes a long way. Thanks for the smart solution, Bill.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I pick up everything with our shop vacs....the bleach solution that you'll be using need not be more that a couple % to be effective, so it's very light...just remember to remove the inside dust shield before picking up liquids tho...and they do sell defoamers, if you need it too...

...plus they're good for sucking out the last debris when breaking down tanks while cleaning up...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson