• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

My last best hope

Started by LizStreithorst, May 28, 2019, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've been crossing different genetics into my Half Blacks.  The results have been disappointing, to say the least.  I had 2 huge spawns from a Super veil HB and a stripeless HB.  Of hundreds of fry only 2 turned.  I had 2 spawns from the pair I was most excited about.  The parents were a cross of one of my HBs to one of my Blue Silver Pearl Scales.  I got a few pearls in the spawns, but none at all turned.

I have one last pair of my HB/Blue Silver Pearl cross that spawned and have free swimming fry that they are caring for.  If none of their kids turn I'm after 2 spawns I'm afraid I'm done with Angels for good.

Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

I wish I had your problems. My Half Blacks spawn regular but I never get any wigglers to free swimming stage.  They just die off on the day they are supposed to go free swimming.  Tried hatching jars, 2-1/2 gallon tanks, tried rainwater, nothing seems to help.  I am even thinking of splitting up a pair and trying for some 'HETS'. 

Is it even possible to be done with Angels for good?
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

I'm not sure.  I guess I'll find out.  Remember I have Discus as well and some of my homebreds are very close to breeding age,

Mugwump

..remember hb is recessive.. ;)

...I had 2 spawns from the pair I was most excited about.  The parents were a cross of one of my HBs to one of my Blue Silver Pearl Scales.  I got a few pearls in the spawns, but none at all turned.

h/h - Halfblack
pb/pb - p/p - Blue Silver Pearlscale

100.0%   +/h - +/pb - +/p - Silver
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mug.  The parents were HBXBlue Silver HB.  There should have been a percentage that turned. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2019, 04:50:10 PM
Mug.  The parents were HBXBlue Silver HB.  There should have been a percentage that turned.

...well that's not what you wrote above......but ok  ;)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2019, 04:53:15 PM
Sorry if I mis-wrote.

....sure.....it just set my geek Greek off.....LOLOLOLOL
Jon