• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Breeding the little buggers

Started by LizStreithorst, May 27, 2019, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have always wanted to.  Everyone says you don't have to do anything and they breed.  This has not been my experience.  I have never had snots breed.  Now that I've sold most of my Angels I have all sorts of tank space to devote to a pair and I have a blue eyed albino male and female that I like a lot.  I'd like to make the love nest of their dreams for them.

I have a 20, a 29 or a 60 to give them.  I figure they'd like it planted with a gravel substrate.  I don't think that they like the large daily WC changes I do.  So I'll limit WC to once weekly. 

What size tank should I give them and what types of plants do they like?  I have lots of plants in my shrimp tank and my rainbow tank, but I would like to know what plants these snots would prefer.

Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

I don't think the care about plants at all, other than as hiding places.  I have some Amason Sword plants in pots and they like to lay on top of the pot under the plant.  I think the best thing is to get the right sized cave. The male likes to be able to hold himself in the cave with his pectoral fins so it shouldn't be too big. Two or three different sizes should be there so he can pick the one he likes.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

..a good cave, some wood, some food...yada yada....I have caves/bn's in the angel grow out tanks...a 55 with 2 caves.....let love bloom  :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I have most of mine in bare bottom tanks. Another important thing is plenty of places for the female to hide. She will be a lot more comfortable if she knows there are places she can zip to if threatened. The only time she is interested in the caves is when she is ready to spawn.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

..I have pairs in bare bottom tanks and gravel bottom planted tanks......all do their thang....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks, gentlemen.  I have a pair in a 29 BB tank right now.  I guess I'll have to just wait and hope.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2019, 01:40:24 PM
Thanks, gentlemen.  I have a pair in a 29 BB tank right now.  I guess I'll have to just wait and hope.

..don't forget a nice piece of wood..... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst