• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 05:28:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 186
Total: 186

Product review - Never Clog Weighted Airstones

Started by P4Angels, August 05, 2013, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Hi Jan.  It's called J Channel.  You can find it with the vinyl siding at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  I'm not fond of working with glass so I used this material.  Since it's vinyl the silicon will stick to it very well and hold it to the tank wall just as it would a piece of glass.  It's like $4.00 for a 12' section.

I've got some photos somewhere of the modifications I do to it if I can find them.....

Dennis

wiggs

Thanks Dennis,I was wondering how that was done. I like DIY projects and will try to tackle anything. I made a large flight cage some years ago when I was breeding finches. It  had 2 levels and each was 6 ft. long by 2ft. wide 2ft. high., that way the birds could fly back and forth and get lots of exercize.   :D 
Jan

BallAquatics

You sound like my kind of girl Jan!

I love DIY too.  I think it brings me closer to my hobby.  When you build it yourself, you know how it works and why it works.

Dennis

P4Angels

Wow this thread could almost be spit into another how 2?
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

It goes that way sometimes. ;D Topics get started, and then meander around some other interesting things ....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That's what I like about this forum.   It's like sitting around the table chatting over a cup of coffee.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 11, 2014, 06:16:27 AM
That's what I like about this forum.   It's like sitting around the table chatting over a cup of coffee.

Coffee????....I need to grab a refill... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Found 'em!!!!!

This is the 'J' channel just cut to length.  These went into some 40 breeders so they are somewhere around 15.5 inches long.....

This is with the channel with most of the hook part cut off of the J.  You only need just a little bit to grab hold of the foam so I cut most of it off.  The cut-offs are shown in the photo too.....

This is the channel all trimmed and ready to silicone into the tank.  These were all cut using a table saw, but when I first started playing around with these corner HMF's I cut the pieces using just a utility knife.....

Here the pieces are glued in place with silicone in the tanks.  I let them set 24 hours before installing the foam....

With the foam installed.....

All done.....

Hope these help you with your DIY project.

Dennis

P4Angels

Oh Dennis, did you just open a can of worms for me.... Now Lori wants them in all the tanks.....  Thanks gees.... lol
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

BillT

wiggs

Dennis, Thanks for the pictures and  the explaination of how you did this. I would have went to the store and looked at the channels and thought..... Huh! how did he do that!  I now know that I will try this in some of our tanks. Where do you buy your sponge / foam from?   
Jan

BallAquatics

Quote from: P4Angels on January 30, 2014, 10:33:40 PM
.... Now Lori wants them in all the tanks.....

Smart girl.  Seriously, I love these filters.  I wanted to keep all the benefits of the HMF while saving a bit on the cost of foam and these do that perfectly.

Quote from: BillT on January 31, 2014, 02:34:06 AM
Great documentation of the how-to Dennis!

Thanks Bill.  I knew I had these photos, just had to track them down.

Quote from: wiggs on January 31, 2014, 04:47:15 AM
Where do you buy your sponge / foam from?

I get all my foam from Stephan at http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/, and I'm not just saying that because we are good friends.  I've made sponge/foam filters for years now, using all sorts of materials and for the money the Poret is hands down the best value.  Just check out the reference page http://www.swisstropicals.com/references/, I'm sure you will see some very familiar names of people who are switching over to the Poret foam in their fish rooms.

Dennis

wiggs

Dennis, Thanks again for all of the information. I will be trying this sometime this year. I hopefully will have some extra time to get it done in a few tanks. I like this idea as it looks easy to change the sponge filter and put in new clean one. I also want to try the lids that Aron  made up. I was thinking about the stuff that they used and it hit me, I could make a green house out ot it. A small one of course, but I will think that over for awhile.  ;D 
Jan

BillT

QuoteDennis, Thanks again for all of the information. I will be trying this sometime this year. I hopefully will have some extra time to get it done in a few tanks. I like this idea as it looks easy to change the sponge filter and put in new clean one. I also want to try the lids that Aron  made up. I was thinking about the stuff that they used and it hit me, I could make a green house out ot it. A small one of course, but I will think that over for awhile.  ;D

I think that making greenhouses out of this stuff is one of the main reasons for its existence:

You can get kits to make greenhouses or buy the components and do it yourself. They can actually get quite large with the proper framing. I have seem very large greenhouses made with this stuff on fish farms housing many very large fish ponds.

Truly the best and most proper use of a greenhouse!

wiggs

why not plants and fish, I`m willing to share with the fish ---  LOL
Jan