• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 01:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

Product review - Never Clog Weighted Airstones

Started by P4Angels, August 05, 2013, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Got a hold of some of these last weekend at a LFS and added them to my sponge filters, and all I can say is wow!!! Endorse the use of them X100000.  If it works as good as they say then I will never have to buy another cheap clogging air stone again.   They sell then at Smalls for $2.00 each and large for $3.00 each. I figure in the long run I spend that on them anyway but will never have to change them again.

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 06, 2013, 07:47:16 AM
They're great.  I use them in all my sponges.

on line source???....I saw these back years ago, a guy had them for sale on Pete/Deb's place..but he ran out....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

What my understand is you have to buy a ton of them from the online source... If any one is interested, I can purchase them and mail out from my LFS.   Please contact me via PM
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

LizStreithorst

David has them in stock.  He brought a bunch home from China at my request.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 06, 2013, 03:43:39 PM
David has them in stock.  He brought a bunch home from China at my request.

prices from David???....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

lol, I'm so nice to him that he sent me 20 for free.  You'll have to contact him to get a price.  Last time I checked they weren't on his web site.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 06, 2013, 04:37:36 PM
lol, I'm so nice to him that he sent me 20 for free.  You'll have to contact him to get a price.  Last time I checked they weren't on his web site.

LOL...no comment     8)
Jon

Rjb3

I know a guy that brings them back when he visits Singapore.

LizStreithorst

I don't believe that he wants and arm and a leg for them.  IMHO 3$ a piece is too much for something that cost a few pennies to make.  When they first became available I saw them at ACA where they were $5.00 each.  I loved them but what fool would spent that kind of money on an air stone.

BillT

I will be interested to hear how these work.
I have been frustrated enough with airstones that I now mostly just use stiff airline tubing to make larger bubbles instead.
Several years ago I did an experiment based on what I figured was the cause of airstone clogging.
Possible cause:
1) water containing dissolved solids
2) at the place where bubbles are coming out, a thin film of water (containing the dissolved solids) is present and exposed to evaporation, increasing the concentration of the dissolved solids
3) eventually the concentration of the dissolve solids exceeds that which the water conditions can keep dissolved and the solids start to precipitate until things clog up

My experiment was to prevent clogging by preventing the evaporation:
The air going to the airstone being tested was first hydrated by being bubbled through a container of water (sealed).

This worked well for the airstone, but was a hassle to maintain long term, thus not practical.

Any idea how these airstones are supposed to work? Maybe made of a water repellant material.

I have a friend who likes the idea of using sintered glass airstones because they can be dunked into concentrated acid to de-clog them. The sintered glass being a fused mass of glass will not come apart due to the acid treatment.

wiggs

I would like to get a few of these to try. The ones that we get at the stores fall apart after awhile. so now we just use airline which makes big bubbles and I don`t really like the looks of it. These remind me of leggo`s , can we build them?
Jan

P4Angels2

These are super cool Jan yes they can be adjusted like legos!! I wasn't sure about it when Aron first said he wanted to try them and now....I would rather have these they are not obnoxious at all and in our fry tank it doesn't seem to bother them

wiggs

cool, we will have to try them. I will talk to Jon and see if he wants some.
Jan

P4Angels

Sounds like another package of goodies from P4A? :o