• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 19, 2024, 12:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,201
  • Total Topics: 18,499
  • Online today: 129
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Bulgarian Seal Points

Started by waterboy, April 13, 2019, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

I have a BSP/Blue Silver Het for bg pair. She is a niece. I just moved a spawn from a 10 gallon to a 45 and did a count.
Bulgarian Seal Point - 7
Platinum Seal Point - 7
Lace Pinoy (D/+) - 5
Hybrid Pinoy (D/g) - 4
Blue Silver - 5
Platinum - 4
This is a typical spawn size for this pair, nowhere near the 2-3 hundred I am used to. This is the only pair I have spawning now.  Have lots of older ones, both hets and BSPs, but they seem very reluctant to spawn. Some are 14 months old.  I am beginning to worry that the Seal Point line may go away due to lack of breeding.  I have been putting "Possible pairs" together in spawning tanks but so far no action.  As long as this pair keeps spawning I am getting a steady supply of "Hopefuls", but they aren't going to keep it up forever.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on April 13, 2019, 02:00:51 PM
I have a BSP/Blue Silver Het for bg pair. She is a niece. I just moved a spawn from a 10 gallon to a 45 and did a count.
Bulgarian Seal Point - 7
Platinum Seal Point - 7
Lace Pinoy (D/+) - 5
Hybrid Pinoy (D/g) - 4
Blue Silver - 5
Platinum - 4
This is a typical spawn size for this pair, nowhere near the 2-3 hundred I am used to. This is the only pair I have spawning now.  Have lots of older ones, both hets and BSPs, but they seem very reluctant to spawn. Some are 14 months old.  I am beginning to worry that the Seal Point line may go away due to lack of breeding.  I have been putting "Possible pairs" together in spawning tanks but so far no action.  As long as this pair keeps spawning I am getting a steady supply of "Hopefuls", but they aren't going to keep it up forever.

..yes, I agree.....they seem to be a real delicate strain......nerve racking delicate too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

They are just driving me crazy.  They look healthy and strong but just aren't interested in spawning. A few female-female het spawnings and that is it.  That must be common for the strain.  If I ever could get a couple spawning pairs I would do some crosses to try to get some strength back into the line. That and sell of the excess that I have. There have been quite a few imported and as far as I know no-one is selling any in the US. Besides Joel of course.  You would think there would be a lot more of them out there than there are.  Right now I think Joel and I are the only ones that have had spawns from them other than the lady in Oregon who eventually lost all hers.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on April 13, 2019, 05:46:22 PM
They are just driving me crazy.  They look healthy and strong but just aren't interested in spawning. A few female-female het spawnings and that is it.  That must be common for the strain.  If I ever could get a couple spawning pairs I would do some crosses to try to get some strength back into the line. That and sell of the excess that I have. There have been quite a few imported and as far as I know no-one is selling any in the US. Besides Joel of course.  You would think there would be a lot more of them out there than there are.  Right now I think Joel and I are the only ones that have had spawns from them other than the lady in Oregon who eventually lost all hers.

...hopefully I'll join you two soon......today I saw his tube down a bit....and she freak'n has to be ready... ;)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I hope you guys find out soon. I have a funky bunch of angels that have seal point traits that I know nothing about except that they came from Europe. They have a reddish hue but are definitely not Koi. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 13, 2019, 07:04:27 PM
I hope you guys find out soon. I have a funky bunch of angels that have seal point traits that I know nothing about except that they came from Europe. They have a reddish hue but are definitely not Koi. huh

(D/Gm - S/S - bg/bg).... +/pb and pb/pb is possible.

Jon

wsantia1

Hmmm!!!  I can't wait to breed them.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

Nice looking Angels.  Put me on the list for some babies when you get some.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on April 14, 2019, 08:53:07 AM
Nice looking Angels.  Put me on the list for some babies when you get some.

...me too...me too.... :) |^| :)
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on April 13, 2019, 07:49:40 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 13, 2019, 07:04:27 PM

(D/Gm - S/S - bg/bg).... +/pb and pb/pb is possible.

Could they be Gm/Gm,S/S,bg/bg?  I have some KOI, it would only take me two years to find out. LOL
Dale

Mugwump

I think you'll need a 'D' for that bsp look in the fins....
Jon

waterboy

That is possible, but the black in the Gm might be enough. Might be a worth while cross if I ever get any to breed.
Dale

Babers

Only One way to find out...if you want to do the project...Koi x Platinum Sealpoint. That would give you Gm/Gm (or Gm/+) s/s bg/bg....after you cross their babies. I think the bg/bg alone can give the fins a slightly darker tint...like the platinum Sealpoint. Or maybe like you said...the Gm will add to get darker fins.

I have a BSP that is paired up with one of the Tancho Super Red. That one will give me the D/gm s/s bg/bg (in both pb/pb and +/pb)....and albino counterparts.....after 2 years....if the fu&#ers decide to lay eggs...lol
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 15, 2019, 05:36:58 PM
Only One way to find out...if you want to do the project...Koi x Platinum Sealpoint. That would give you Gm/Gm (or Gm/+) s/s bg/bg....after you cross their babies. I think the bg/bg alone can give the fins a slightly darker tint...like the platinum Sealpoint. Or maybe like you said...the Gm will add to get darker fins.

I have a BSP that is paired up with one of the Tancho Super Red. That one will give me the D/gm s/s bg/bg (in both pb/pb and +/pb)....and albino counterparts.....after 2 years....if the fu&#ers decide to lay eggs...lol

...that would be Gm/Gm (or Gm/g) s/s bg/bg....right?
Jon

Babers

Maybe...to retain the dark fins as they mature. I can only guess at this time.  2c2 huh

Joel