• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 148
Total: 149

Oxygen for shipping...how old is old?

Started by Babers, April 07, 2019, 05:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

A few months back, I had problem with fish dying on shipping. Didn't do anything different from previous years...
Anyway, after some thought, I realized my oxygen tank, although has a lot in it...was OLD. Last time I filled it was a couple years ago. After I filled it, problem disappeared.
Anyone know how old is old when it comes to using oxygen safely to ship fish?
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 07, 2019, 05:55:49 AM
A few months back, I had problem with fish dying on shipping. Didn't do anything different from previous years...
Anyway, after some thought, I realized my oxygen tank, although has a lot in it...was OLD. Last time I filled it was a couple years ago. After I filled it, problem disappeared.
Anyone know how old is old when it comes to using oxygen safely to ship fish?

,,not sure it can go 'bad' if in an approved container...

https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-oxygen-last-in-a-closed-oxygen-tank-If-I-only-use-it-for-a-few-minutes-and-close-it-up-would-it-last-a-long-time
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

Theoretically, it doesn't go bad. That's what I've read so far. 2 weeks ago, I bagged a couple of cull fish and placed them in a styrofoam box and placed in my fishroom. Just to check if they will survive in about 5 days (since I forgot to test the new Oxygen a few months ago after refilling it) ....we'll I felt really bad because I forgot that they were there until last night.....
Fish were still alive though..2 weeks later. Just swimming around. Not even breathing hard.

What I think is oxygen...just like anything else "looses its potency" if stored for a long time. Maybe the O2 concentration decreases as it gets older   huh. I'll probably just refill my tank every 9-12 months just so I feel at ease whenever I ship fish.
Joel

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Oxygen in a tank should not just go "off". 
It might react with something to oxidize it (like rusting the inside of a tank), which would use it up chemically, but any decent oxygen containing tank should not do that (dangerous).
I could leak out, leaving reduced pressure and maybe not enough oxygen to blow the other air out of a bag and make a pure O2 atmosphere.
However, it should not just go off by itself.

ghonk

I sure hope it doesn't go bad.
I have a nice supply that's been sitting for a few years now.
That would SUCK.
Best as I can remember when I worked  for a health care company it was around 98-99% in the tank.
Coming out of a concentrator  about 96%.   
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon