• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Pigmy cory's

Started by Mugwump, October 20, 2012, 06:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Are these a 'true' cory??...has anyone bred these?....I think ours are from a guy downstate Ill., Jan bought them at a swap, a while back....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Yep, they sure are. There are three of them: C. hastatus, habrosus, and pygmaeus. All dwarf Cory catfish. I've spawned pygmaeus and habrosus, but I've never kept hastatus.

Mugwump

Ok,,,cool, they'll have similar spawning behavior,etc....??...if so, I may try to separate them...neat little critters.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Everything's the same. They don't have an appetite for their eggs like the other Cory varieties. That's a good thing.

Mugwump

Hmmm...will they raise them?...or at least let them survive??
Jon

Rjb3

That reminds me I forgot to list them on the how many Cory thread. Same with the melanotaenia. Oh, well.

Rjb3

Yep, they will leave the eggs and fry alone. I used to have hundreds of them. Especially the pygmaeus.The bottom of the tank looks like its moving with 200 or more in a 55. They are a little hard to count because they are extremely fast. Like little bullets. You don't catch them, you herd them. LOL

Mugwump

I think ours are the Habrosus.....they're kind of spotty/splotchy....I'll have another look later..
Jon

Rjb3

C. hastatus has just one black spot by the tail. Habrosus are more like tiny paleatus. Pygmaeus have a black lateral line.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 20, 2012, 06:45:23 PM
C. hastatus has just one black spot by the tail. Habrosus are more like tiny paleatus. Pygmaeus have a black lateral line.

If memory serves me correct....they're definately the Habrosus
Jon

Rjb3

I don't watch mine very closely like when I was making an effort to breed them. They just kinda do their own thing.

JR

I have thought about getting some Pigmy cory. But can't find them around here.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

P4Angels

Was had a chance to get some at the last meeting of the GCCA.  Just was not sure where we would but them so passed on it at the time.  Looking back I wish we would have gotten them....
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Rjb3

I sold most of mine off. I don't pay attention if the ones I have left are breeding or not. They keep the guppies company.

Another thing about the pygmaeus is they don't spend all their time on the bottom.  They swim up in the water column with the guppies. Sometimes, they rest on the plant leaves.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 21, 2012, 05:37:46 AM
I sold most of mine off. I don't pay attention if the ones I have left are breeding or not. They keep the guppies company.

Another thing about the pygmaeus is they don't spend all their time on the bottom.  They swim up in the water column with the guppies. Sometimes, they rest on the plant leaves.

I've noticed that too...they'll get out with the other fish...I have Celestial Pearl Danios and a few Pinkish Neons(think Jan..) and it can get quite active...
Jon