• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 161
Total: 162

BSP...(Dale & Joel)

Started by Mugwump, February 16, 2019, 05:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

.....1st spawn...stay tuned....pair hopefully not 2 females...didn't catch them in action.....dang it....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

That's a good size spawn. Are they both BSP parents? Goodluck with them!
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on February 17, 2019, 02:37:21 AM
That's a good size spawn. Are they both BSP parents? Goodluck with them!

Thanks Joel, ...no..only one is a bsp...d/g pb/pb bg/bg....the other is g/+ pb/pb bg/+......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

You got a picture of the other parent (g/+ pb/pb bg/+)?
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on February 17, 2019, 03:37:29 AM
You got a picture of the other parent (g/+ pb/pb bg/+)?

....I'll find one....but it's white with inverted striping...
Jon

Babers

Okay...now I know exactly which one you're talking about.  |^|  Thanks.

Joel

Mugwump

..all went white....not fertilized... :'(
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on February 18, 2019, 06:39:28 AM
..all went white....not fertilized... :'(

Sorry about that Jon. Hopefully next time.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

Wow. I am going to go sit in the corner and hang my head in shame. I have never had a spawn that large from my BSPs. I have a Blue Silver Het with a BSP that spawn fairly regularly. I just moved their latest spawn from a 10 to a 29 and there were 36 of them. That is with a 90% hatch out rate. I think that is the biggest spawn they have had. I have a tank full of some about a month or two older than the ones you have and none of them have shown any inclination to spawn.

That pair should give me g/g,pb/pb,bg/+ Platinums and g/g,pb/pb,bg/bg Platinums (which need a new name I think).  I am beginning to believe that the ones with reversed stripes are the double dose ones, but they seem so reluctant to spawn that I don't see any test crosses coming in the near future.

Sure would have been nice if those had made it,

Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on February 18, 2019, 09:24:05 AM
Wow. I am going to go sit in the corner and hang my head in shame. I have never had a spawn that large from my BSPs. I have a Blue Silver Het with a BSP that spawn fairly regularly. I just moved their latest spawn from a 10 to a 29 and there were 36 of them. That is with a 90% hatch out rate. I think that is the biggest spawn they have had. I have a tank full of some about a month or two older than the ones you have and none of them have shown any inclination to spawn.

That pair should give me g/g,pb/pb,bg/+ Platinums and g/g,pb/pb,bg/bg Platinums (which need a new name I think).  I am beginning to believe that the ones with reversed stripes are the double dose ones, but they seem so reluctant to spawn that I don't see any test crosses coming in the near future.

Sure would have been nice if those had made it,

....hopefully if this is a pair I'll get another spawn...... huh
Jon

waterboy

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Would love to see a batch like that hatch and grow out.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on February 18, 2019, 09:59:54 AM
I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Would love to see a batch like that hatch and grow out.

...me too.... ;).....I'll pull the next one for sure....
Jon

Babers

The ones that have a reverse bar (the platinum-looking Angels) are pb/pb - bg/bg (...May or May not have g)...this is according to Raiko. What I'm wondering is the "+/g" part in your genes for this angelfish. Being +/g is recessive. Maybe Dale can answer it....Are the parents of Jon's fish a BSP and a blue platinum (...or any angel that has g/g)?How can you tell that it has a single g?

Initially I was thinking g/g pb/pb +/bg when I first saw the angels with reverse stripes...was calling them platinums....I guess they're not. That's why I was thinking (same as Dale) that it needs a name also.

But then....there's 2 different angels I'm seeing that has a reverse stripes...one with a slight darker fins and another that is pure white...

So my theory is....
pb/pb - bg/bg (May or May not have single or double g)  is the one with a darker fin (needs a name)
g/g - pb/pb - +/bg is the one that is all white (this one I can call Platinum)

huh huh huh
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on February 18, 2019, 11:19:01 AM
The ones that have a reverse bar (the platinum-looking Angels) are pb/pb - bg/bg (...May or May not have g)...this is according to Raiko. What I'm wondering is the "+/g" part in your genes for this angelfish. Being +/g is recessive. Maybe Dale can answer it....Are the parents of Jon's fish a BSP and a blue platinum (...or any angel that has g/g)?How can you tell that it has a single g?

Initially I was thinking g/g pb/pb +/bg when I first saw the angels with reverse stripes...was calling them platinums....I guess they're not. That's why I was thinking (same as Dale) that it needs a name also.

But then....there's 2 different angels I'm seeing that has a reverse stripes...one with a slight darker fins and another that is pure white...

So my theory is....
pb/pb - bg/bg (May or May not have single or double g)  is the one with a darker fin (needs a name)
g/g - pb/pb - +/bg is the one that is all white (this one I can call Platinum)

huh huh huh

....so if I'm following right ?...the bg/bg mimics albino aka reverse striping.... huh
Jon

waterboy

The parents of those Jon has were BSP   (D/g,pb/pb,bg/bg)and a Pinoy lace (D/g,pb/pb,bg/+) so the reverse stripes almost certainly have at least one gold gene.  I can tell that the Pinoy has a gold gene because I got Platinums in the spawns and Platinums are g/g,pb/pb.  Not sure if the bg changes that or not. I am tentatively calling the ones with reversed stripes 'Bulgarian Platinums' for lack of a better name.

I also have a BSP (D/g,pb/pb,bg/bg) and a Blue Silver (+/g,pb/pb,bg/+) pair that also produce some regular (all white) Platinums and some Reverse Stripe Platinums. Maybe we shouldn't be calling them Platinums at all because 'Platinum' implies two gold genes(g/g).
Dale