• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:49:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

No heat till tomorrow

Started by Rjb3, February 07, 2019, 11:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

A friend of ours was online saying their power was out today at around 7 o'clock. Our power was off for two hours when it was 20 below last week. By the time I hauled in fire wood and had a good fire going the power was back on. So Gale says let's turn up the heat and if the power goes out we'll start at a higher temperature. We have the heat at 62. I looked to turn it up and the house is only 58. Furnace won't run. They came out and took a look at it and said the mother board was out. They'll have a new one tomorrow. $107 for the service call. He calls later and says the new part is $580. And BTW, I turned my ankle when I left your house. I wonder what that's going to cost us?

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 07, 2019, 11:41:48 AM
A friend of ours was online saying their power was out today at around 7 o'clock. Our power was off for two hours when it was 20 below last week. By the time I hauled in fire wood and had a good fire going the power was back on. So Gale says let's turn up the heat and if the power goes out we'll start at a higher temperature. We have the heat at 62. I looked to turn it up and the house is only 58. Furnace won't run. They came out and took a look at it and said the mother board was out. They'll have a new one tomorrow. $107 for the service call. He calls later and says the new part is $580. And BTW, I turned my ankle when I left your house. I wonder what that's going to cost us?

...dayam !...how old is your furnace...?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

We replaced it in 2004, so 15 years.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 07, 2019, 12:26:17 PM
We replaced it in 2004, so 15 years.

...you get the extended warranty ?....hope so... |^| ;) |^|...our furnace/AC was replaced a few years back. or so... it's good for as long as we live in the house..... :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

At one o'clock I called the heating contractor cuz I was getting nervous. Wouldn't ya know the new part just arrived but nobody was available to put it in.  Three hours later someone shows up. The guy just left. No heat. He's going to call the guy that was here yesterday and ask him what to do.

He was supposed to call in 15 minutes with an update. He left at about 4:30 so pouIt's been 40. No call.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 08, 2019, 04:33:27 PM
At one o'clock I called the heating contractor cuz I was getting nervous. Wouldn't ya know the new part just arrived but nobody was available to put it in.  Three hours later someone shows up. The guy just left. No heat. He's going to call the guy that was here yesterday and ask him what to do.

He was supposed to call in 15 minutes with an update. He left at about 4:30 so pouIt's been 40. No call.

..sheesh the other guy will likely tell him not to forget to turn his ankle....idiots...I'd be calling the owner......then maybe some one else.....
Jon

Rjb3

Yeah. I still wonder about the ankle. It's gonna get cold tonight. It was 55 degrees earlier. We've got a little space heater going. Hope it helps.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 08, 2019, 05:21:53 PM
Yeah. I still wonder about the ankle. It's gonna get cold tonight. It was 55 degrees earlier. We've got a little space heater going. Hope it helps.

....this sucks...keep calling til someone comes back and fixes it.......especially the boss  |^|....
Jon

Rjb3

The kid just called back. Now it needs an inducer motor for $1100. I told him the mother board was supposed to fix it. They actually want me to pay for that part. I told him I wasn't paying for a part that didn't work. If we buy a new one from them they will give us back the $107 service call and no charge for the part that didn't work. We're pricing new ones from somewhere else now. Either way, looks like we're stuck for the weekend.

LizStreithorst

How will you survive until you have heat again, Captain?  I hope that the ankle was just strained. 

I thought that I was having a run of bad luck but I'm good compared to you.  I'll be thinking of you.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Rjb3

Not to worry. The turned ankle kid was out working today. The knucklehead they sent to our house today told me that.

We have a wood stove in the basement. The house won't freeze but it's only 55 degrees upstairs.

LizStreithorst

Sleep in the basement even if you to drag a mattress down.  I think that I would die if it got down to 20 below and I was without heat.  Do you have an electric blanket?
Always move forward. Never look back.

ghonk

I used to know a guy that fixed cars that way.
Have you keep buying parts until he found one the fixed the problem. :)
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Rjb3

We only keep the house at 62 normally and 57 is what we're up to right now. We'll be fine. I just don't like to be jerked around. We could have gotten someone else in here before Monday instead of waiting for these clowns.

We'll get more wood from my neighbor tomorrow and Gale can keep the home fire burning on Sunday while I'm at the swap in Green Bay.