• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 133
Total: 134

Baking sand?

Started by fishhead0103666, January 14, 2019, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead0103666

I'll be honest with ya, I have a 5 gallon bucket full of sand which is rather unpleasant. I don't want to waste it so I was thinking about washing it out a bit at a time then baking it to dry it up and kill any potential organisms that may be alive in it somehow. Has anybody done this before or have any thoughts on this?
Dreaming of more catfish...

Mugwump

Quote from: fishhead0103666 on January 14, 2019, 02:13:08 PM
I'll be honest with ya, I have a 5 gallon bucket full of sand which is rather unpleasant. I don't want to waste it so I was thinking about washing it out a bit at a time then baking it to dry it up and kill any potential organisms that may be alive in it somehow. Has anybody done this before or have any thoughts on this?

..I'd get new sand....why temp fate?....it's pretty cheap for a new bag...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

fishhead0103666

It's more that I don't want to go dump the sand somewhere since it'll be an annoyance having to carry the 5 gallons of sand (which I'm pretty sure weighs more than water) outside and then spread it around.

Mugwump

Quote from: fishhead0103666 on January 14, 2019, 02:19:58 PM
It's more that I don't want to go dump the sand somewhere since it'll be an annoyance having to carry the 5 gallons of sand (which I'm pretty sure weighs more than water) outside and then spread it around.

...you're going to have to lug it somewhere to bake it...which will be a pita.......haul it out and use it for cig. butt pots or a cactus planter...play sand is probably $2.50 a bag....why trust it?

..split the sand up into a manageable 2-3 buckets....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

fishhead0103666

This is actually pool filter sand that I got from a pool store. I found out that I prefer bare bottom tanks or just a very light covering of sand so light that that i can still see the bottom in areas. So ya reckon I should just dump it?

Ron Sower

...it'll stink up the house if you cook it...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

fishhead0103666

Guess we have our answer then.