• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 155
Total: 156

green/bronze cory pod

Started by Mugwump, December 08, 2018, 07:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...fed bw's for a few days...nice cool water change and 'BOOMBA!'......they spawned a gazillion eggs....LOL.....now to try to get as many as possible swimming... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Good lick Jon. I've never had success with the cories  I'm pretty sure it's because all of my cory are in community tanks. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

This pod is in a 30 long.....1 20 long does nicely too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2018, 08:13:39 AM
Good lick Jon. I've never had success with the cories  I'm pretty sure it's because all of my cory are in community tanks. huh
...Willie, you might try heavily planting the community tank and putting in Panda cories...they will place one egg at a time on underside of leaves...some of my Panda eggs survive once in awhile and make it to adulthood...

...I was just watching mine feed a few minutes ago...i started with about 6 or 7 and now there are 13-14 in there...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 08, 2018, 09:04:09 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2018, 08:13:39 AM
...Willie, you might try heavily planting the community tank and putting in Panda cories...they will place one egg at a time on underside of leaves...some of my Panda eggs survive once in awhile and make it to adulthood...

...I was just watching mine feed a few minutes ago...i started with about 6 or 7 and now there are 13-14 in there...!

Thanks for the suggestion Ron. I've actually been thinking of setting up a nice planted tank. I'll start with some fresh cories since it will be a PITA to catch the ones I currently have. I like the pandas too.
Willie

waterboy

Angelfish are pretty smart. If you have Angels in there they will learn when the cories spawn and follow them around to eat the eggs. I have  a couple tanks with Angels and Cories and I have watched them.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wsantia1

Quote from: waterboy on December 09, 2018, 09:53:24 AM
Angelfish are pretty smart. If you have Angels in there they will learn when the cories spawn and follow them around to eat the eggs. I have  a couple tanks with Angels and Cories and I have watched them.

Yes Angels are smart. Mine like to hang out in from of the BN caves when the males are fanning their eggs.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 10, 2018, 07:06:43 AM
Quote from: waterboy on December 09, 2018, 09:53:24 AM

Yes Angels are smart. Mine like to hand out in from of the BN caves when the makes they are fanning their eggs.

...yup....they love moving live food.... |^|
Jon

ghonk

Just found out recently  that at least  some types  might  potentially self poison themselves in shipping,i had no clue.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on December 10, 2018, 12:27:57 PM
Just found out recently  that at least  some types  might  potentially self poison themselves in shipping,i had no clue.

..yes, some do when stressed or as a defense mechanism......

https://www.ratemyfishtank.com/blog/self-poisoning-a-damaging-defense-mechanism

Jon

waterboy

Supposedly some do and some don't.  I have never seen a list of the ones that do. I have bagged Bronze, Peppered, Metae, Panda, Ehrhardti and cw021 cories for swaps and have never seen this phenomena.
Dale

ghonk

I sold my albino sterbai and they were all DOA.

Buyer said the water felt warm,so I thought I must have had a to small of a box for the heat pack.

I was surprised because I had shipped that way in the past  with no problem, so I assumed they just couldn't handle the higher temp.

Now beginning to think it may have been the poisoning.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on December 12, 2018, 03:00:07 PM
I sold my albino sterbai and they were all DOA.

Buyer said the water felt warm,so I thought I must have had a to small of a box for the heat pack.

I was surprised because I had shipped that way in the past  with no problem, so I assumed they just couldn't handle the higher temp.

Now beginning to think it may have been the poisoning.

,,interesting....my Sterbia fry from Josh McMullen, a while back, were all DOA too......
Jon

waterboy

I have heard people recommend netting them out and put them in a bucket and agitate them for a while before bagging them in new water.  I have no clue if it works or not.
Dale