• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

I have baby snots!

Started by LizStreithorst, December 06, 2018, 12:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This is so exciting.  I didn't expect them.  So far I've seen two.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 06, 2018, 12:46:53 PM
This is so exciting.  I didn't expect them.  So far I've seen two.

..Congrat's  :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..from the new tank that you just setup ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Yes, it's the 30 gallon, the tank that I moved a cave with dad and eggs to and a couple days later the other male claimed the cave as his.  When I saw the eggs gone and dad not around I caught the intruder and dumped him back into the community tank.  I haven't seen dad for a couple of days now.  I wonder if the eggs started wiggling and dad moved them to a new place.  I saw him digging tunnels under driftwood.  Do you think he might have moved them and is caring for them in new hiding place?  There is nothing in either cave.

waterboy

I've never heard of them moving the eggs but I suppose it i possible.  More likely the eggs got kicked out of the cave and settled somewhere where you couldn't see them.  What kind? Regular Brown ones or Albino?
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

..agree with Dale....eggs were kicked out and a few survived.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I wonder if I might have more of them.  The adults are good at hiding but the babies are masters  at hiding.  I will only know if I have more than two if they stick to the front of the glass at the same time.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 06, 2018, 03:19:31 PM
I wonder if I might have more of them.  The adults are good at hiding but the babies are masters  at hiding.  I will only know if I have more than two if they stick to the front of the glass at the same time.

....got some of Capt'n Bob's 'guppy magic', or 'egg fu young'...etc. ?....the powdered foods?..if so, toss a pinch in there and they'll start feeding....easier to see when they are foraging around..
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have no powdered food.  I got some once but I had no need for a powdered food.  I guess I need to give my Captain a shout.

LizStreithorst

How about if I grind some of the Captain's algae pellets with the  mortar and pestle.  Or I could grind up some Teenie Greenie.  Would either of those work?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 06, 2018, 04:03:23 PM
How about if I grind some of the Captain's algae pellets with the  mortar and pestle.  Or I could grind up some Teenie Greenie.  Would either of those work?

....just crush some teenie greenie...that should work....smack it on top of the water and it'll disperse better too....you shouldn't need much....
Jon

waterboy

Put a little chunk of Zucchini in there. They will enjoy it and so will Dad.  I rubber band it to a rock and drop it in before lights out, Replace it the next night.  It is almost the only thing mine get to eat and they do great on it, cheaper than Algae wafers by far.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 06, 2018, 05:11:42 PM
Put a little chunk of Zucchini in there. They will enjoy it and so will Dad.  I rubber band it to a rock and drop it in before lights out, Replace it the next night.  It is almost the only thing mine get to eat and they do great on it, cheaper than Algae wafers by far.

..great idea, I feed zucchini too....dad/fry will love it....but doubt she has it in the fridge right now.... huh...

..another thought tho....when you flip the lights off....take a flashlight and scan across the bottom..you might be able to pick up more fry.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'll get some zucchini tomorrow and try the flash light when the tank light goes out tonight.