• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 165
Total: 166

Telescopes

Started by GraphicGr8s, November 30, 2018, 01:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Any one here into astronomy? If so what would be a decent scope for a 9 year old? He wants to be able to look at nebula and stuff like that.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

waterboy

I am just a little bit.  I have a 3-1/2 inch I haven't used in a while. OK for looking at the moon and the rings of Saturn, but no good for anything beyond that. What I can tell you is that in order to see anything decently you need a very expensive one. And some of them do get expensive.  Might be worthwhile to have him look into building his own. You can grind your own glass and construct your own tube.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

BillT

Here (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/planning-to-buy-a-first-telescope-comments.391086/) is an extensive tread (over 100 posts) on the subject.

I am no expert on this but there are a lot of people on the PhysicsForums who are.
I am sure they cover all levels of telescopes, including taking pictures through them.

Mugwump

..don't forget 'Craigslist'......most everything else is on there...why not telescopes?....'Bookoo tampa'....http://tampabay.bookoo.com/

..you can post 'looking for' too on both and might shake something up.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on November 30, 2018, 05:53:22 PM
Here (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/planning-to-buy-a-first-telescope-comments.391086/) is an extensive tread (over 100 posts) on the subject.

I am no expert on this but there are a lot of people on the PhysicsForums who are.
I am sure they cover all levels of telescopes, including taking pictures through them.

I hoped that you would show up with the answer.  You're the only one here who is strongly into science.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Quote..don't forget 'Craigslist'......most everything else is on there...why not telescopes?....'Bookoo tampa'....http://tampabay.bookoo.com/

I would tend to not buy anything on Craig's List unless I already knew enough about the kinds of things I was considering buying to be able to judge for my self the quality of the particular item for sale.

Think about a high end camera; could be a good buy, but might have some messed up features only an aficionado would be able to quickly identify.
Some people want to pass off crap on others and make money.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 01, 2018, 10:35:01 AM
Quote..don't forget 'Craigslist'......most everything else is on there...why not telescopes?....'Bookoo tampa'....http://tampabay.bookoo.com/

I would tend to not buy anything on Craig's List unless I already knew enough about the kinds of things I was considering buying to be able to judge for my self the quality of the particular item for sale.

Think about a high end camera; could be a good buy, but might have some messed up features only an aficionado would be able to quickly identify.
Some people want to pass off crap on others and make money.

.....Craigslist can be as as good as bad too....of course you need to know what you're looking for.....the meeting and viewing tells the story....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

If he is interested in seeing stuff any where near as close as the pictures in the magazines he will need a 10 to 12 inch scope I think. I would try to sample any sized scope before committing to buy. Either try out a friends or maybe find a local Astronomy club with scopes you could try.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 01, 2018, 01:54:18 PM
If he is interested in seeing stuff any where near as close as the pictures in the magazines he will need a 10 to 12 inch scope I think. I would try to sample any sized scope before committing to buy. Either try out a friends or maybe find a local Astronomy club with scopes you could try.

...a really great idea Dale..... huh
Jon