• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

“Corner Matten Filter-Like” project... $6.20 per tank

Started by Babers, November 28, 2018, 04:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

It took a couple weeks to do it but I was able to do 21 tanks (5- 55 gal, 10- 20 gal, and 6- 40 gal breeders) for only $130. That includes all the foam, silicone brackets, pvc's, and air stones. I used replacement materials but it works...I'm happy with them so far. That's $6.20 per tank. So I don't use regular sponge filters anymore and most of the heaters are hidden behind the foam. Cleaner set up. Anyway here's a picture of what it looks like.
Joel

Babers

Joel

LizStreithorst

Get the foam on ebay?  That's where I found it.  It'll be in next week
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

Yes, I got the foam on eBay...took about 3 weeks to get it since it came all the way from china. I bought the 50x50x5 cm. Cut it in half. The half works perfectly to do one corner. Measured 6 inches from corner for the brackets. I used this thing from Menards for bracket. M

The lifters I just made...just cut pvc's.
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on November 28, 2018, 05:32:21 PM
Yes, I got the foam on eBay...took about 3 weeks to get it since it came all the way from china. I bought the 50x50x5 cm. Cut it in half. The half works perfectly to do one corner. Measured 6 inches from corner for the brackets. I used this thing from Menards for bracket. M

The lifters I just made...just cut pvc's.

..figured that...cool.......can you show a pic?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

What are those brackets called and how did you secure them to the sides of the tank?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2018, 05:45:11 PM
What are those brackets called and how did you secure them to the sides of the tank?

..probably caulked them on with silicone... huh
Jon

Babers

Got them from the drop ceiling section. They had the L bracket or this bracket I used. I used the Dap 100% silicone. Let it cured for 24 hours and done.
Joel

Babers

Lifter tube....drilled a hole on the elbow....inserted the airline and added the air stone. Drilled hole at the bottom of the lifter tube
Joel

Babers

Joel

wiggs

I have been wanting to do this on the smaller tanks. I might try it next year on a few tanks to see how it goes.
Jan

GraphicGr8s

Might have to experiment with this filter myself. Well done.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Babers

Been a month and they seem to be working as they should. Very very skeptical on the first tank. But since it was advertised for pond/fish/aquarium, I gave it a try. It was thick and stiff enough to do what it should do...and crossed fingers that it didnt have any harmful chemicals. Almost a month into the filters, no fish got sick and happy, and still holding its shape.

Here's the link for the foam I used if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Biological-Cotton-Filter-Foam-Pond-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Sponge-Pad-1-PC/223104993264?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on December 17, 2018, 03:11:45 PM
Been a month and they seem to be working as they should. Very very skeptical on the first tank. But since it was advertised for pond/fish/aquarium, I gave it a try. It was thick and stiff enough to do what it should do...and crossed fingers that it didnt have any harmful chemicals. Almost a month into the filters, no fish got sick and happy, and still holding its shape.

Here's the link for the foam I used if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Biological-Cotton-Filter-Foam-Pond-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Sponge-Pad-1-PC/223104993264?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

...that ad was replaced?..is it still the same stuff showing now ?
Jon