• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 140
Total: 140

The Deed is done

Started by GraphicGr8s, November 28, 2018, 08:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

As some of you know I fell back in July and did some serious damage. One part was my septum. Had the surgery the 21st. More damage than the doc had suspected so it took a bit longer than he told us. Saw him on Monday for follow up and it's healing very well. I was quite surprised however how much my blood oxygen levels drop when I sleep without CPAP. 97%  normally but I doze off it drops almost 30%. Tonight I get to use CPAP again.
Now to take care of the nerve damage.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

Why were you not able to use it for a while.  Are you taking Gabapentin for your nerve pain?  It does wonders for me.  Hang on.  You'll get better.  It just takes time sometimes.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..Progress is good...now heal 'er up.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2018, 09:08:00 AM
Why were you not able to use it for a while.  Are you taking Gabapentin for your nerve pain?  It does wonders for me.  Hang on.  You'll get better.  It just takes time sometimes.

Doc was concerned about the 14 lbs of pressure I have it set for.

I have a script for the Gabapentin but have not started it yet. It's a drug I am unsure about. Supposedly all the tingling is because of stenosis. But all of these problems started after that mower jumped up and hit my forehead.

Jon, I am doing everything I can to heal. It's a journey and a process. Only thing that really surprised me was how calm I was about the prospect of my own demise. Couldn't move. Excruciating pain. Could not feel anything below my chest. And blood out of my mouth and nose. Said out loud "So this is how it ends". And I was OK with that prospect. It sure was a learning experience about myself. And my little one "Little G" has really stepped up this last year with the wife being in the hospital last October and now my problem this July and continuing. I tell you God has a plan and He works it no matter how hard we try to screw it up. My son being 9 now is just what I need now. Doesn't hurt he also got all A's and only one B in school either. And he is into Astrophysics, geology, earth sciences. Kid talks about the cosmos in terms I haven't heard in decades.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

I have a script for the Gabapentin but have not started it yet. It's a drug I am unsure about. Supposedly all the tingling is because of stenosis. But all of these problems started after that mower jumped up and hit my forehead.

What are your concerns about Gabapentin?  My old Chow Saint Puppy and I both take it because of stenosis.  Your injury may have caused the stenosis or you may have had it all along and it started because the fall caused nerve damage.  My neighbor was in tears because she came home and her little Pomeranian was paralyzed in it's rear legs.  We all thought that it was the end of the line for the little guy but when she went to the vet the doctor wanted her to try Gabapentin.  The drug worked miracles.  The dog has been walking normally ever since.

One thing that you might want to be aware of....When my I first started my dog on it at the suggested dosage he acted as though he was hallucinating.  It was very disconcerting.  It happened to a friend's Doberman as well.  It is one of the side affects.  I cut the dog down to 1/3 of the dose and when he tolerated it worked up to the full dosage.  I believe that side affect happens more often in dogs than humans.  I know several humans who take it.  (stenosis is pretty common as we age)  Nobody has ever told me that they ever had that problem with it. 

GraphicGr8s

It was prescribed by a noted neurologist here in Tampa. But she also recommended that I go see a neurosurgeon and I have that appointment on the 12th. I will talk with her about it and probably start on the Gabi. Just don't want to rush into another medicine IF I can avoid it. If she agrees with the neurologist then I will start.

LizStreithorst

Personally, if I have a choice between meds and surgery I'd go with the meds.  Why not start the meds before you see the neurosurgeon?  They should help.

GraphicGr8s

I haven't started them because my appointment is just a couple weeks away. I just want all the information before I act.

GraphicGr8s

Saw the neurosurgeon yesterday. I did injure the spinal cord in the fall. And two of the vertebrae are pinching the cord. She said I need a laminectomy, cutting out the back of my spinal column to give the cord room. The fact I got back the use of my legs was my second chance. If I fall again there are two possible outcomes. Paralysis. Or dead.
I refused the surgery. She said we can monitor the situation every three months to see if there is progression. Next appointment she also has a lumbar MRI scheduled to see if any more vertebrae is pinching the cord lower in my back.
Overall it was about what I figured. Not great news but then again not in any immediate threat. Unless I snap my neck back the wrong way.

Mugwump

.....well now all the options are on the table.....I'm not a fan of going under the blade either...

I hope it stays 'bearable'.....good luck .... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson