• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 137
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 137
Total: 138

My Bristlenose Surprise

Started by LizStreithorst, November 27, 2018, 08:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've always kept the snots because they save me from constant wipe downs.  But I got some good ones and got hooked on them for their looks. 

I set up a 30 gallon in my office for shrimp and snots.  I have it all ready except for a couple of types of plants that my LFS couldn't get and the shrimp.  Suddenly I have eggs in the cave!  I'm pumped!

I bet this spawning has been going on in all my tanks but I never see the baby snots before the other fish eat them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 27, 2018, 08:15:42 PM

I bet this spawning has been going on in all my tanks but I never see the baby snots before the other fish eat them.
...and I'll bet you're right about that...! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

I'd think that you'd have seen at least one little one if they had..... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

In a BB tank full to brimming with hungry Angels?  Perhaps not huh

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2018, 07:06:52 AM
In a BB tank full to brimming with hungry Angels?  Perhaps not huh

..LOL...you give them no respect.... :D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...once I put the Florida Flag Fish in my tank I saw no more Panda Cory eggs or fry...they're going in the auction this Sunday..!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Perhaps.  I'll know soon enough.  Every time I go down to the fish room now I shine a light in all the cones.  I have 1 male and 1 female in most tanks.

waterboy

Everybody likes baby Bristlenoses for lunch.  Even big guppies will eat them. I see no babies in tanks with angels. I sometimes get a batch of eggs that were kicked out of the cave, but never see any youngsters.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 28, 2018, 01:14:35 PM
Everybody likes baby Bristlenoses for lunch.  Even big guppies will eat them. I see no babies in tanks with angels. I sometimes get a batch of eggs that were kicked out of the cave, but never see any youngsters.

..many of my caves are in angel grow out tanks......even if most do get picked off at times...I'll usually see 1, or more, before their demise...
Jon

LizStreithorst

My eggs are just starting to wiggle but I see that the long fin male has taken the cave away from dad.  Is he going to eat my babies?  Should I catch him and put him back in the community tank? 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 01, 2018, 09:52:16 AM
My eggs are just starting to wiggle but I see that the long fin male has taken the cave away from dad.  Is he going to eat my babies?  Should I catch him and put him back in the community tank?

...is he tending?..fanning the eggs?
Jon

LizStreithorst

No.  The dad male is on the side of the cave and there is a big fat shy female hanging around close to the cave.  I'm thinking that the long fin male is trying to lure her in.  He had been hanging out in his old cave but she never hung around it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 01, 2018, 10:13:59 AM
No.  The dad male is on the side of the cave and there is a big fat shy female hanging around close to the cave.  I'm thinking that the long fin male is trying to lure her in.  He had been hanging out in his old cave but she never hung around it.

...so another male is in the cave?...and Dad/Mom are hanging around the outside?...and the male in the cave is trying to lure Mom in there....

...got more caves?....toss another in there and see what happens....you'll have a bitch trying to get the intruder out of there ...easier if he goes by him self ..if he will?.
Jon

LizStreithorst

No.  I removed the cave with the male and his eggs from a tank in the fish room and put it in this 30 gallon in the office.  The male's former wife is still in the fish room.

Also in this 30 are the long fin male and a female I choose from another tank.  I added a cave for them and the long fin male hung around in it for a long time but then abandoned it and took over.  The female seems interested but she is very shy.  When the male was in the cave I added for him she showed no interest at all.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 01, 2018, 10:41:22 AM
No.  I removed the cave with the male and his eggs from a tank in the fish room and put it in this 30 gallon in the office.  The male's former wife is still in the fish room.

Also in this 30 are the long fin male and a female I choose from another tank.  I added a cave for them and the long fin male hung around in it for a long time but then abandoned it and took over.  The female seems interested but she is very shy.  When the male was in the cave I added for him she showed no interest at all.

...oh....I thought Dad/cave/eggs were going to get their own tank.....sounds like hormones are going.....lucky the two males aren't squabbling...
Jon