• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 06:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

New pair

Started by LizStreithorst, November 10, 2018, 10:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I had the HB veil male in with a Blue Silver female after they spawned together in the community tank.  It has been months that the pair had been together and I got tired of seeing nothing going on.  A few days ago I added the stripeless HB female and lo and behold she and the HB veil obviously took a liking to one another.  I put the blue silver back from where she came from and the next day the male and new female got down to doing their thing.

I'm excited about this spawn because both of the parents come from a different breeder.  They are totally unrelated.  I have HB fry growing out that are of my own breeding but God only knows how inbred they are.  I worry about parenting instinct being lost due to inbreeding.  That's what happened with my home bred strain of Zebra HBs.

Sorry about the tea color of the water.  If I don't add the Roobios tea my eggs can't hatch.  The pic shows a bunch of white eggs but the multitude of good eggs are there despite the fact that you can't see them in the pic.  Keep your fingers crossed that these first timers raise their own kids.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...Cool beans..good luck |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know that the male has a bent dorsal.  I hate it but he was the only fish that was good and grew well from the bunch I bought.  The female stripeless was the only one from that group that turned out well.

I'm not complaining, I'm happy to end up with two decent fish that paired.  But I never sell fish with obvious faults.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 10, 2018, 12:19:42 PM
I know that the male has a bent dorsal.  I hate it but he was the only fish that was good and grew well from the bunch I bought.  The female stripeless was the only one from that group that turned out well.

I'm not complaining, I'm happy to end up with two decent fish that paired.  But I never sell fish with obvious faults.

..that's very common in super veils.....the swept back look isn't really a fault....I'd be proud to own that angel..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Me too. If you ever want to sell it.....................
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

No how, no way I would sell him.  I'm so ignorant that I thought he was a veil.  I guess since he's a super veil a standard finned fish is the best match for him.  I will forgive him for the obvious bend in the dorsal even though it is considered to be OK.  I like fins that are straight and strong.  I'm sure I'll see that in the offspring if the pair manages to raise their own kids.