• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 138
Total: 138

Saturday...

Started by Mugwump, November 10, 2018, 09:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

....doing water changes....what's everyone else got going on... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

adjusted all the heaters in the fish room.  They were all set at 82 for the Discus and 80 for the Angels.  Some of the tanks were at 85.  The poor fish in the office were about freezing to death at 73.  I put another 250 watt heater in the tank and put one in the water storage barrel.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...went down to the clubhouse and cruised the indoor yard sale going on...my self-appointed job was to stay behind Lucy and repeat over and over, "We Don't need it. We don't need it. We don't need it".  I think it helped...we only came home with stuff we'll put in one of the rentals...! :D :D :D :D

...I think I'll change my WC day of the week to Saturday and begin that regimen today...

...I plan to go to the killi club meeting tonight...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

Emptied the rain barrel before the cold snap. Filled some 2-1/2 gallon plastic jugs so I have rainwater for the next change. Forgot to bring them in until this morning.  They are frozen solid after the 18 degrees last night.  Hope they did not freeze hard enough to split. No obvious cracks as far as I can tell. I have Panda Corys, CW021 Corys, and L333 Plecos in 1/2 and 1/2 tap and rainwater. The Plecos are going to go into all tap for the winter because RO water at the store is just too expensive.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

What's your kH and pH Dale?

waterboy

Don't know but both are very high.  I use the 5 in 1 test strips and both are off the scale, above 300 ppm.
Dale

LizStreithorst

I thought that you might be able to get away with using Roobios tea like I can.  If your levels are that high you are right.  You need either RO or rain water to get your eggs to hatch.

Mugwump

..take empty milk jugs to WallyWorld and use their water machine.....about $0.24/gallon.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 10, 2018, 01:54:50 PM
I thought that you might be able to get away with using Roobios tea like I can.  If your levels are that high you are right.  You need either RO or rain water to get your eggs to hatch.

I have no trouble with most corys, bristlenoses and most of the Angels. Have noticed that some Angels have very small spawns, which might also be the water, hard to tell for sure.  The CW021s I have found will not hatch in my well water, thus the 1/2 and 1/2.  The only other problem I have noticed is that if I get adult fish from someone else they usually don't do very good in my water. Can't keep Rams or Apistos to save my soul.

Quote from: Mugwump on November 10, 2018, 02:42:12 PM
..take empty milk jugs to WallyWorld and use their water machine.....about $0.24/gallon.....

Sorry 1 gallon jugs are just too much work, I am lazy.  A local grocery store has 2-1/2 gallons of RO water for about $2. I would go through 5 of those for each water change and I can't see hauling 12 one gallon jugs.
Dale

LizStreithorst

waterboy

I am a little skittish about RO systems because I have heard they make a lot of waste water.  I am on a well & septic system and had to replace the leech bed once already, so a little leery about adding extra load to the system. I have managed so far and guess I will muddle along the way I have been going. Upside of my bad water, any fish that I sell will do great in any other water. Now that you mention Rubios Tea, I might just get some and add it to the hatching jars to see if it makes a difference.
Dale

Mugwump

Jon