• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:55:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

I have a fox

Started by LizStreithorst, October 21, 2018, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

He cones here for a meal.  One neighbor lost a hen, another lost a hen and her favorite rooster, I have had hens disappear one after another until I'm down to 11 from 16.  It happens in broad daylight (the hens are locked up at night).  Sometimes I see a few feathers.  Sometimes I see nothing.   A few weeks ago he came up looking for a meal.  He was in the woods.  I didn't see him but my little Cha Cha did.  She took off yapping like dogs to when they spot a critter.  This happens all the time and I thing nothing of it, but after the yapping there was a sudden silence.  I never saw her again.  I didn't post about it at the time because it was too emotionally painful.

I am resigned to loosing most if not all of my chickens because they run free range like all my animals.  I can't afford it this year but next year I will buy electric netting to keep the fox away.  I already have the fence charger.  I will have to buy several rolls because I want all my animals to feel like they're not cooped up.  https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-12-42-3-electric-netting
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...that sucks.....it's time to hunt that sucker down....even a pellet rifle. pumped up well, can be the same as a 22cal for shorter distances.....one good hit could do it....or at least hurt 'em good... |^|

..sorry about Cha Cha.....damn..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have never seen it.  Foxes are very careful about not being seen.  Nothing happens for days on end and then it snags a meal.  Where would I sit with a gun where a fox couldn't see or smell me?  How many days would I have to sit hidden, and perfectly still doing nothing but watching?  It's impossible.

I can't set a trap with something stinky like cat food because the only thing I'd catch would be one of my dogs.  I'm resigned to what I know will happen.  Next year I'll be prepared.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 21, 2018, 01:40:42 PM
I have never seen it.  Foxes are very careful about not being seen.  Nothing happens for days on end and then it snags a meal.  Where would I sit with a gun where a fox couldn't see or smell me?  How many days would I have to sit hidden, and perfectly still doing nothing but watching?  It's impossible.

I can't set a trap with something stinky like cat food because the only thing I'd catch would be one of my dogs.  I'm resigned to what I know will happen.  Next year I'll be prepared.

...who knows?...you might get a chance at the dang thing from your door? or something....we have a lot of fox up here in our area,,,even an occasional silver fox...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Wow Liz, so sorry to hear about Cha Cha. I hope you don't have to wait until next year to hunt it down.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

...at least put a radio by the hen house...noise tends to keep them away.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

ChaCha broke my heart, Willie.  I took consolation in knowing that while she was with me she had the best time that any dog could possibly have, and that her end was quick.

waterboy

Are you sure something happened to Cha Cha?  Maybe she is still chasing the fox.  Pretty unlikely that a fox would harm a dog.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 21, 2018, 03:17:26 PM
ChaCha broke my heart, Willie.  I took consolation in knowing that while she was with me she had the best time that any dog could possibly have, and that her end was quick.

I know it did Liz. I am glad you shared that with us so you wouldn't have to keep that pain bottled up inside.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.