• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 157
Total: 159

No water changes at all!

Started by Barb, July 15, 2013, 07:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Interesting topic, Barb.  I guess it comes down to the fact that some animals can live in sewage.  I've never eaten Talapia because I heard that itwas a trash fish.  Now that I know more, I will never eat one. 

I have raised my own beef and pork and had chickens for eggs.  I'm too old to bother with that now.  It's a lot of work and a good bit of pain when it comes time to take a large mammal to theslaughter house.  I have chosen to pussy out and my my meat from the supermarket.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Aquaculture fish tat have a strong flavor due to being raised in crowded, not optimally filtered water will be depurinated before they are sold as food. the process of depurination is basically putting the fish in a pond or tank with good water quality and over a week or two letting the bad tasting chemicals ooze out.

Well done Tilapia is not bad tasting.

LizStreithorst

I found this thread by visiting where you can see who is looking at what.  Just now I saw a "guest" watching this thread and add something to an old thread.

I went to another fish forum and some idiot water expert said that he could keep the water perfect for fish with his method of filtration.  Even at that poor excuse for a fish forum he didn't last.  Fresh clean stable water is what fish need to do well.  I can't deny what I see with my own eyes. 

Fish can be tough.  Many can keep themselves alive in poor water until they give up the will to live.

Barb

The Tilapia is still alive.  He is about 12" now.  But all the Africans are gone.  I never look in the tank when I am there.
Barb

BallAquatics

I love Tilapia.  They are very mild, almost like a blank palate so you make them what you want them to be.  That said, I like all fish, from trout to catfish, sword fish, salmon, walleye, perch, and bass, blue gill, anchovies & sardines.  Yumm  Yumm.

Dennis

big b

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 02, 2015, 03:46:13 PM
I found this thread by visiting where you can see who is looking at what.  Just now I saw a "guest" watching this thread and add something to an old thread.

I went to another fish forum and some idiot water expert said that he could keep the water perfect for fish with his method of filtration.  Even at that poor excuse for a fish forum he didn't last.  Fresh clean stable water is what fish need to do well.  I can't deny what I see with my own eyes. 

Fish can be tough.  Many can keep themselves alive in poor water until they give up the will to live.
I think I know the guy you are talking about. Was he going around talking about how certain types of bacteria can do everything? Or better yet, can you post a link to his profile?

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 02, 2015, 05:44:10 PM
I love Tilapia.  They are very mild, almost like a blank palate so you make them what you want them to be.  That said, I like all fish, from trout to catfish, sword fish, salmon, walleye, perch, and bass, blue gill, anchovies & sardines.  Yumm  Yumm.

Dennis

...Kippered herring, smoked oysters, pickled herring, halibut steaks, monk fish(poor man's lobster tail).....my Mom made the best ceviche by pickling blue gill......MMMMMmmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

No.  I know where he was but don't remember his user name.  I could find him but it's not worth my time to dig him up for you.  If you want to find him look in the right places.  He was just another guy wanting to be Mr. Big Britches.  Not worth your time either.

big b

LizStreithorst

It wasn't you.  My beer store is called Big B and you're not my beer store :P

big b

But I could be. Just deposit beer in my mouth. You won't get it back though. Haha, lol

ilroost