• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:04:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

Newest additions

Started by Mugwump, September 18, 2018, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

I should add that these are from Dale.....the dark fin angels are the Bulgarian seal points, the others are Pinoy, 'het' for bg...not pictured is a white 'het' bg with inverted striping.....

...well done, Dale... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I didn't do anything but feed them and keep their tank clean.  They did it all themselves. I have about 20 or so of the Seal Points growing out now. I am so fearful that they won't spawn when they mature that I am afraid to sell any until I get a good breeding pair or two.  So far spawning has been very erratic. May need to do more outcrossing to try to get them some stronger genes.

The parents of those are a Bulgarian Seal Point (D/g,pb/pb,bg/bg) and a Lace Pinoy Het (D/+,pb/pb,+/bg)
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

....they're settling in nicely now....when I first fed them they waited for the food to drift off the top....now they hammer it at the surface....LOL...gotta watch your fingers.... :)

How old are these now, Dale?
Jon

ghonk

Are the BSP's PB also,or het PB?

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Jon

ghonk

Any plans to breed the PB out of any of them?
If i'm figuring right you would get 50% non PB's after 2 crosses.

And then would have to do another cross to determine which of those are don't carry. 
Paul Simon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 05:20:54 AM
....they're settling in nicely now....when I first fed them they waited for the food to drift off the top....now they hammer it at the surface....LOL...gotta watch your fingers.... :)

How old are these now, Dale?

They were spawned on June 26th so they are about three months old.
Dale

waterboy

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 09:43:04 AM

And then would have to do another cross to determine which of those are don't carry.

Right now the only plans I have are to get a spawning pair or two. After that there are no plans. At this point I suspect that the double blue and double Bulgarian Green genes are modifying the Black gene to produce the seal points.  Not sure if you would have Seal Points without both.  Of course that is probably the point.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on September 20, 2018, 10:11:29 AM

Right now the only plans I have are to get a spawning pair or two. After that there are no plans. At this point I suspect that the double blue and double Bulgarian Green genes are modifying the Black gene to produce the seal points.  Not sure if you would have Seal Points without both.  Of course that is probably the point.

...my thoughts too...plus  'het' vs homogeneous of either pb or bg sets off a whole different scenario too.....crazy....
Jon

ghonk

Raiko made no mention of his original  seal points having PB genes.

From his posts on TAF i'm confident they didn't have it. 
He also added the BG gene to MANY genotypes,and those detailed results never mentioned any of those fish carrying PB either.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 10:50:03 AM

He also added the BG gene to MANY genotypes,and those detailed results never mentioned any of those fish carrying PB either.

...BS Greg and you know it.....every genetic scrip produced had at least 'het' pb.....I made a point of looking it..... he couldn't even produce a bg/bg stand alone angel.....even Dena received a hodpodge of genes in hers......if it was so simple then someone would have gotten a stand alone bg/bg angel by now and had a gold mine.....Lord knows many have tried..huh huh
Jon

Mugwump

Same thing happening to  Pterophyllum
....posted in TAS today...but he's still trying.... |^|

""Update on batch #3
    I've always said that in trying to identify what's going on with a new gene, that it's not always necessary to cross to a wildtype silver, so long as you can clearly identify the influences of the other gene(s) in the mix....
    Well, here I am over 3 months on and I'm still trying to work out exactly what I have!
    It would appear that I may well have got the genotype of both parents wrong. In order to help work out exactly what's going on I've repaired the male with a different female and I'll post more on that in a week or two when I'm 100% sure of what I have in the mix.
    So watch this space. ""

Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 11:00:44 AM

...BS Greg and you know it.....every genetic scrip produced had at least 'het' pb.....I made a point of looking it..... he couldn't even produce a bg/bg stand alone angel.....even Dena received a hodpodge of genes in hers......if it was so simple then someone would have gotten a stand alone bg/bg angel by now and had a gold mine.....Lord knows many have tried..huh huh

He had post after post that showed the DETAILED results of his crosses.
He added the (BG ) gene to just about  EVERY genotype possible,if not all.

DETAILED results of all of those crossed,those results NEVER mentioned ANY of the offspring carrying PB.( The PB gene was added in LATER crosses)

He was trying to determine how the BG affected different genotypes,it would be CRAZY to use PB fish in those crosses,because the PB fish would ALSO affect phenotype.

He DID do crosses with PB fish at a LATER time.
AFTER he pretty much exhausted all other crosses to NON PB fish. 
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 11:25:53 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 11:00:44 AM

He had post after post that showed the DETAILED results of his crosses.
He added the (BG ) gene to just about  EVERY genotype possible,if not all.

DETAILED results of all of those crossed,those results NEVER mentioned ANY of the offspring carrying PB.( The PB gene was added in LATER crosses)

He was trying to determine how the BG affected different genotypes,it would be CRAZY to use PB fish in those crosses,because the PB fish would ALSO affect phenotype.

He DID do crosses with PB fish at a LATER time.
AFTER he pretty much exhausted all other crosses to NON PB fish.

....I agree, he has no idea what he has/had.....and the pb was there on his first exchanges on TAFII,,,,,...but I think Rob will stay determined to find out what's going on......I know, if possible, I'll cross to my blue glitters....and then see what happens with sibling crosses.... huh....BGS with glitter.... huh
Jon