• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 02:03:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95

Newest additions

Started by Mugwump, September 18, 2018, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

Here is 1 example I got from Raiko's facebook  page.
He calls it a (Albino Bulgarian Seal Point angelfish),which  PROBABLY  should have been described  as ALBINO BULGARIAN GREEN.

It makes no mention of carrying any PB genes.

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

ghonk

One of his YouTube videos,it lists the genetics of both fish,no mention of a PB gene.

Paul Simon

ghonk

This video DOES list them as having PB.
So it's not something that he just leaves out because it's assumed that they ALL  carry PB.

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 01:33:16 PM
One of his YouTube videos,it lists the genetics of both fish,no mention of a PB gene.

...he must have forgot it.....LOLOLOLOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Seriously tho.....it seems that he really found a nice phenotype in the Bulgarian seal points.....but no one has any idea how it occurred....there are now too many variables out there for anyone to have a chance at isolating what could be a new gene. Many have tried, and many have given up. Who will get the brass ring?...and on it goes.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 04:08:01 PM
Seriously tho.....it seems that he really found a nice phenotype in the Bulgarian seal points.....but no one has any idea how it occurred....there are now too many variables out there for anyone to have a chance at isolating what could be a new gene. Many have tried, and many have given up. Who will get the brass ring?...and on it goes.....

He knows what the genetics are for the( BSP ) Bulgarian Seal Point.
  He posted them on TAF.

(IF) I remember correctly they have a  single dose of  D,and are bg/bg.
I DON'T remember if they had gold also.

NOT to be confused with(BG) Bulgarian  Green fish.
Which can be ANY genotypes with the addition of double dose of BG.

Paul Simon

ghonk

[/quote]

....I agree, he has no idea what he has/had.....and the pb was there on his first exchanges on TAFII,,,,,...but I think Rob will stay determined to find out what's going on......I know, if possible, I'll cross to my blue glitters....and then see what happens with sibling crosses.... huh....BGS with glitter.... huh
[/quote]

I was wondering if you planned on crossing them with your glitters.

POSSIBLE changing of the glitter COLOR would be really nice.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 04:23:28 PM

He posted them on TAF.

...how can he know what he has when the gene it's based on can't be proven?.....it's all 'what if' speculation..... huh
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 04:31:41 PM

....I agree, he has no idea what he has/had.....and the pb was there on his first exchanges on TAFII,,,,,...but I think Rob will stay determined to find out what's going on......I know, if possible, I'll cross to my blue glitters....and then see what happens with sibling crosses.... huh....BGS with glitter.... huh
[/quote]

I was wondering if you planned on crossing them with your glitters.

POSSIBLE changing of the glitter COLOR would be really nice.
[/quote]

..I'm not sure what to expect until sibling crosses reveal results....but, yes, I'm curious if some surprises show pop up..... :)
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 04:38:37 PM

He posted them on TAF.

...how can he know what he has when the gene it's based on can't be proven?.....it's all 'what if' speculation..... huh

I don't follow you AT ALL.

WHAT exactly do you expect him to do PROVE the BG gene.

The ONLY thing i can think of is COUNTS,because you mentioned that BEFORE when we were talking about this,and he MIGHT have done that already TOO.

He has  added the BG gene in double dose  to just about  EVERY genoype, if not all.

And AS FAR AS I KNOW has changed the expression on ALL of them.

I see it as doing VERY simular things to them as  in double dose   PB. 

It's NOT some hit or misss thing,with no idea what the outcome will be.

He can produce ANY genotype with a double dose of BG,and i'm betting the siblings will look very similar to each other,and will breed true to those genetics.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 05:19:31 PM

He posted them on TAF.

The ONLY thing i can think of is COUNTS,because you mentioned that BEFORE when we were talking about this,and he MIGHT have done that already TOO.

He has  added the BG gene in double dose  to just about  EVERY genoype, if not all.

He can produce ANY genotype with a double dose of BG,and i'm betting the siblings will look very similar to each other,and will breed true to those genetics.

...you must own stock, huh?......he's proven nothing without isolating what he thinks he has......basically he has a name for the unknown, and is working with it.....all his work info means naught without a conclusion....do I like it...sure...bit what am I really liking  huh......script info is non conclusive if certain characters are merely symbols of what if..?....

..your explanations contain a lot of assumptions around his thinking and methodology....
"He can produce ANY genotype with a double dose of BG,and i'm betting the siblings will look very similar to each other,and will breed true to those genetics.
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 05:29:31 PM

He posted them on TAF.

...you must own stock, huh?......he's proven nothing without isolating what he thinks he has......basically he has a name for the unknown, and is working with it.....all his work info means naught without a conclusion....do I like it...sure...bit what am I really liking  huh......script info is non conclusive if certain characters are merely symbols of what if..?....

..your explanations contain a lot of assumptions around his thinking and methodology....
"He can produce ANY genotype with a double dose of BG,and i'm betting the siblings will look very similar to each other,and will breed true to those genetics.

Contact him,and ask him the questions you have.
Like what the genetics of BSP is,i'm confident  he can tell you exactly.

Also since you now have BG fish you can do crosses of your own,although you would probably want to breed the PB out of some of them first.

Or you will never know how  BG effects the different genotypes.   
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 20, 2018, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2018, 05:29:31 PM

He posted them on TAF.

Contact him,and ask him the questions you have.
Like what the genetics of BSP is,i'm confident  he can tell you exactly.

Also since you now have BG fish you can do crosses of your own,although you would probably want to breed the PB out of some of them first.

Or you will never know how  BG effects the different genotypes.   

...why not...?.....someone has to do it.... :D
Jon

ghonk

What's your opinion on the genetics of the (Bulgarian Green) gene Dale?

Did you see Raiko's  thread on TAF about his crosses?
Paul Simon

waterboy

My opinion is that the Bulgarian Green seems to exist although I have no Idea if it is on its own locus or is an allele on some other locus. At this point I am only interested in the Seal Point Phenotype.  I mated a Seal Point with a Blue Silver and got the expected results.  And Seal Point to Het bg seems to work out.  My thought at this point is that the bg gene might not express by its self, but just modifies the expression of other genes. I really don't have enough experience with it yet to be able to do any more than guess.

Yes I saw Raikos posts.  What I saw was "this fish is x/x" with no explanation on how he knew what the genetics were. He seemed to randomly mate his bg fish to anything and everything he could. I never saw any sort of a fry count to verify anything he did.  And I never saw any effort on his part to get a +/+,bg/bg,+/+ fish.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.