• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 03:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 98
Total: 98

White Angelfish

Started by waterboy, September 09, 2018, 12:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

OK I have a question for the Angelfish experts.
I have a Paraiba (+/g,S/S,pb/pb) and a Blue Zebra (Z/S,pb/pb) pair.  I am looking at some of the youngsters, (nickel - quarter size) and some of them are white fish with black patches.  Maybe 20% of the batch. They are probably clowns.
Here is what I think I know: 1. The gold gene masks Zebra so the Zebra can't have a gold gene.  2. It takes 2 gold genes (g/g) and and two blue genes to make a white fish ie. Platinums.  3 The gold gene does not express in single dose (+/g)

So where did the white fish come from?  A single dose g expressing as white in combo with the blue? The Zebra is actually a silver with a gold gene but expressing a third body stripe?  Somehow they got 2 gold genes from the Paraiba?

Maybe there is something I have missed.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on September 09, 2018, 12:28:23 PM
OK I have a question for the Angelfish experts.
I have a Paraiba (+/g,S/S,pb/pb) and a Blue Zebra (Z/S,pb/pb) pair.  I am looking at some of the youngsters, (nickel - quarter size) and some of them are white fish with black patches.  Maybe 20% of the batch. They are probably clowns.
Here is what I think I know: 1. The gold gene masks Zebra so the Zebra can't have a gold gene.  2. It takes 2 gold genes (g/g) and and two blue genes to make a white fish ie. Platinums.  3 The gold gene does not express in single dose (+/g)

So where did the white fish come from?  A single dose g expressing as white in combo with the blue? The Zebra is actually a silver with a gold gene but expressing a third body stripe?  Somehow they got 2 gold genes from the Paraiba?

Maybe there is something I have missed.

I'm thinking the zebra does have a gold gene hidden in single dose......do the white fry have caudal zebra markings?.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

No the white fry do not have any markings on the caudal or dorsal fins.
I guess that is probably the explanation, but he is definitely showing three full body stripes and striations in the dorsal fin.  Might just be a Blue Silver with an extra body stripe but I thought a single dose gold would mask the expression of Zebra.   I must be wrong.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on September 09, 2018, 04:45:30 PM
No the white fry do not have any markings on the caudal or dorsal fins.
I guess that is probably the explanation, but he is definitely showing three full body stripes and striations in the dorsal fin.  Might just be a Blue Silver with an extra body stripe but I thought a single dose gold would mask the expression of Zebra.   I must be wrong.

.....yes, it takes two golds to mask zebra or silver or smokey.....but strange fry do pop up for no apparent reason occasionally..... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Dale....sent you a PM...what are you bringing to the swap?
Jon

waterboy

Ok, that explains it if it takes 2 gold genes to mask the zebra, I thought it only took one.

I replied to your message before I saw this so in addition to the trade offer I will bring:
Smokey Superveils, some Nickle size, a couple prebreeders
Black Superveils, some nickle size, a couple prebreeders.
Pinoys, maybe Lace, D/+ or Hybrid D/g, maybe het for bg.
Blue Silvers prebreeders.
Some of the White Clowns, nickle - quarter size.
Some of their sibling Blue Clowns, nickle - quarter size.
A couple Platinum prebreeders.
A couple Gold prebreeders het for pearlscale.
Might be a few others but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Dale