• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

How to make a kick ass cole slaw.

Started by LizStreithorst, August 12, 2018, 04:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This isn't really a recipe because I didn't measure.

Cut a head of Napa cabbage in half and remove the core.  Shred it with your chef's knife and cut it into 1/2 shreds like I did.
Grate 3 medium carrots or be lazy and do it in the food processor like I did.
Ideally the more liquid ingredients should be mixed in a separate bowl but I just tossed stuff in the cabbage/carrot mixture.
You will need a good large dollop of mayo (I like Hellman's), around 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I had to use german mustard but it really needs the winy flavor of Dijon. 
Grated fresh ginger for which I sub'd ginger in a tube.  I used around 1/2 a teaspoon
Perhaps as much of 1/4 cup of rice vinegar.
Many turns of the pepper grinder.

Mix it all together either with your hands or use a fork, as I did.  Make sure that it is mixed well.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Refrigerate for a few hours, taste again and adjust seasonings yet again.  (I discovered that mine wanted more rice vinegar and a bit more ginger)

If you make this in the morning all the tasting and adjusting should be done by the time you serve it, but just in case, taste and adjust again before serving.

This isn't supposed to be all soupy.  It's supposed to taste crisp and fresh.  The flavor should be mellow, because this is a side dish that should enhance the main dish.  It's a supporting character, not the star of the show.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...sounds pretty good.... |^|

...thanks, Liz  :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson