• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 182
Total: 182

Don't tell Ron or anyone else

Started by LizStreithorst, August 08, 2018, 08:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Everyone knows that I have quit breeding Angels because I had too many of them, and because of my back. and because it was time to mess some with Discus again. 

I kind of have a confession to make.  The Discus have been a mostly disappointing project.  Discus can give me a hard slap to the face like no other fish can, but enough of that...

I thought that the Discus problem was that the water was too hard.  I'd being using Roobios tea.  It has always worked for me.  I had to do an experiment.  I had this Blue Silver Pearlscale/ Half Black pair in a 29.  They always eat their damn eggs that I got tired of them.  But I liked them so much that they are the only Angels I have in a breeding tank.  With each disappointment the Discus presented with I watched the Angel pair spawn every every week and have their eggs turn white because the water is too hard.

The experiment...I put the tea in the Angel pair's water.  When they spawned, I did the same as I'm doing with the Discus.  I pull the cone, drip the eggs with meth blue, put a guard on the cage over the cone, and put the cone back in the tank.

The result...the wigglers barely hatched Monday.  They have grown to the point where a few try to leave the cone.  The parents  spit them back on the cone.  There are gazillions of them and they will all be Silvers.  Nobody will want them.  It will be way hard to be market them on genetics alone because the result is so many generations away.  What ever will I do?

Please don't tell anyone here who has bought Angels from that I have fallen off the wagon.  Especially Ron. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 08, 2018, 08:33:14 PM
Everyone knows that I have quit breeding Angels because I had too many of them, and because of my back. and because it was time to mess some with Discus again. 

I kind of have a confession to make.  The Discus have been a mostly disappointing project.  Discus can give me a hard slap to the face like no other fish can, but enough of that...

I thought that the Discus problem was that the water was too hard.  I'd being using Roobios tea.  It has always worked for me.  I had to do an experiment.  I had this Blue Silver Pearlscale/ Half Black pair in a 29.  They always eat their damn eggs that I got tired of them.  But I liked them so much that they are the only Angels I have in a breeding tank.  With each disappointment the Discus presented with I watched the Angel pair spawn every every week and have their eggs turn white because the water is too hard.

The experiment...I put the tea in the Angel pair's water.  When they spawned, I did the same as I'm doing with the Discus.  I pull the cone, drip the eggs with meth blue, put a guard on the cage over the cone, and put the cone back in the tank.

The result...the wigglers barely hatched Monday.  They have grown to the point where a few try to leave the cone.  The parents  spit them back on the cone.  There are gazillions of them and they will all be Silvers.  Nobody will want them.  It will be way hard to be market them on genetics alone because the result is so many generations away.  What ever will I do?

Please don't tell anyone here who has bought Angels from that I have fallen off the wagon.  Especially Ron.

..... ;)...not me...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on August 09, 2018, 09:48:32 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 08, 2018, 08:33:14 PM

..... ;)...not me...
...Ron who?... ;D ;D ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Mutiny, mutiny, mutiny!!!!  There are millions of them.  The officers are overwhelmed.  They will have to submit to the masses  soon. I'll admit to helping the multitudes on their adventure toward independence by adding a full finger scoop of BBS. 

I am so happy to finally have something to work with.  I am in heaven.  I'm sure that Ron will be happy for me as well.  He no longer has to play pretend that he doesn't know that I fell off the wagon.

All I will be able to do is sell these for their genetics.  Surely I'm not the only Angelfish breeder who would like to take a chance with this cross. 

waterboy

If you mate two of the offspring together you will get  4.6875% Blue half-black and 1.5625% Blue Half-black pearlscale. Also some Blue Silver and Blue Silver pearlscale with a Half Black gene.  Nothing wrong with those genetics. I thought you were interested in getting some Blue Half Blacks.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Blue half blacks would be great.  Blue half black pearls would be a icing on the cake.  This is a long time project that I know will take a lot of luck.  I'm not expecting results overnight. 

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 12, 2018, 12:34:07 PM
If you mate two of the offspring together you will get  4.6875% Blue half-black and 1.5625% Blue Half-black pearlscale. Also some Blue Silver and Blue Silver pearlscale with a Half Black gene.  Nothing wrong with those genetics. I thought you were interested in getting some Blue Half Blacks.

...bingo..yup....hope those survive...that would be super.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I hope that the gods smile on this project. 

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 12, 2018, 11:40:16 AMI'm sure that Ron will be happy for me as well.  He no longer has to play pretend that he doesn't know that I fell off the wagon.
...I'm extremely happy for you Liz |^|...!!!  and that takes a big load of pretending off my shoulders.... :P :P
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

You have a very kind heart, Ron.  Now that I've fallen of the wagon you can relax :-*

wsantia1

Congrats Liz. Wishing you the best with this project. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.