• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 01:59:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

Rising seas could knock out the internet

Started by Mugwump, August 01, 2018, 08:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Rising seas could knock out the internet — and sooner than scientists thought

From severe coastal flooding to unusually destructive hurricanes, climate change-related sea level rise is being blamed for some big environmental ills. Now comes a new worry: Rising seas could flood the underground cables that carry the internet, potentially causing widespread outages.

Seawater is likely to submerge more than 4,000 miles of internet cable in the U.S. and engulf more than a thousand data centers that house servers, routers and other hardware, researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Oregon said in a paper presented July 16 at an internet conference in Montreal.

The researchers identified New York, Miami and Seattle as the metropolitan areas at greatest risk for flooded internet infrastructures. Three carriers were identified as especially vulnerable: CenturyLink of Monroe, Louisiana; Chicago-based Inteliquent; and AT&T, which is based in Dallas.

"We believe that these results highlight a real and present threat to the management and operations of communications systems and that steps should be taken soon to develop plans to address this threat," the scientists said in their paper's conclusion.

The inundation could come within 15 years. "That was a little bit unexpected," said study co-author Paul Barford, professor of computer sciences at the University of Wisconsin. "We sort of expected that it might be parceled out over a longer period of time, but that's not the case."

For their research, the scientists compared maps of internet infrastructure along coastal areas in the U.S. with sea level rise projections made by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The projections, which indicate a worst-case scenario, show a sea level rise of one foot over the next 15 years.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...I guess if it knocks out the internet, it'll slow down Russia's messing with our elections...!!!..HardeeHarHarHar... :P :P :P
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

Quote from: Ron Sower on August 01, 2018, 09:15:48 AM
...I guess if it knocks out the internet, it'll slow down Russia's messing with our elections...!!!..HardeeHarHarHar... :P :P :P
|^|