• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Hi-Fin Albino

Started by Mugwump, July 31, 2018, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...this morning we stood and watched this pod spawn......looks promising...Jan pulled 'em and we put them in a 2 1/2......time will tell.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

When my Bristlenoses kick out the eggs I usually put them into a Marina box.  Hang the box inside the tank to maintain the temp.  When they hatch turn the box and hang it on the outside. Install the uplift tube for circulation.  Works great for cory eggs too.   After they have grown a little and are eating good they get transferred to the 2-1/2 gallon. 
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on July 31, 2018, 04:50:49 PM
When my Bristlenoses kick out the eggs I usually put them into a Marina box.  Hang the box inside the tank to maintain the temp.  When they hatch turn the box and hang it on the outside. Install the uplift tube for circulation.  Works great for cory eggs too.   After they have grown a little and are eating good they get transferred to the 2-1/2 gallon.

..thanks Dale.....might try that too.........been doing the 2 1/2 for fry ..seems like forever.....as far as BN's.....don't have any 'egg kickers'... |^| :D |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Those Marina boxes are pretty neat. The big one is half a gallon, plenty of room for a batch of baby Bristlenoses or Corys. You can hang it inside a tank with an air line or you can hang it on the outside. It is air driven to pull water from the tank and circulate it through the box.  Lots better than those hang on fry savers that don't allow for much circulation.

Every once in a while I will find a clutch of eggs on the bottom that the Angels haven't eaten.  Those are about the only ones I save.  If I happen to see a male on eggs I wait until there are wigglers in there and then put dad, cave and all into the 2-1/2. When the little ones are out of the cave, dad and the cave go back where they came from.  I have some brown ones and some Calico ones right now but my Albinos haven't spawned in quite a while
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on July 31, 2018, 11:36:20 PM
Those Marina boxes are pretty neat. The big one is half a gallon, plenty of room for a batch of baby Bristlenoses or Corys. You can hang it inside a tank with an air line or you can hang it on the outside. It is air driven to pull water from the tank and circulate it through the box.  Lots better than those hang on fry savers that don't allow for much circulation.

Every once in a while I will find a clutch of eggs on the bottom that the Angels haven't eaten.  Those are about the only ones I save.  If I happen to see a male on eggs I wait until there are wigglers in there and then put dad, cave and all into the 2-1/2. When the little ones are out of the cave, dad and the cave go back where they came from.  I have some brown ones and some Calico ones right now but my Albinos haven't spawned in quite a while

..yup, same here....Dad/cave/eggs etal get moved.......then Dad & cave back home after the fry are released.... |^|...I have the gallon Marina, I think, but don't use it much......might give it another chance tho.. huh
Jon

Mugwump

..they're up and scooting around...so just did a complete water change....this was the smaller spawn of the two, but looks like about 25+ ...now to grow 'em some...
Jon

waterboy

Good luck with them.  My Long fin Albinos haven't spawned in just about forever.  Some of their young are getting old enough to spawn but they seem to have just given it up.  Had a brown female trying to get into the cave with a Brown male yesterday. Haven't looked to see if there are any eggs or not.
Dale

Mugwump

....these are hi fin cories......hoping the pod goes off again in the near future  ;)

..but our LF albino BN male is on eggs as I type.... :D.....mama LF is paler than I like, but the fry are those sweet golden/orange color.... |^|
Jon

waterboy

Ah pardon me for being an A$$.  Read hi fin and thought Long fin. Maybe I should go take a nap.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 04, 2018, 04:15:49 PM
Ah pardon me for being an A$$.  Read hi fin and thought Long fin. Maybe I should go take a nap.

.....not a problem..... :D......that chicken with green peppers sounds great !
Jon

waterboy

It really is pretty good, especially if you love green peppers like I do. I butterfly the chicken breast put in in a pan. Slice a couple green peppers, today they were fresh out of the garden. If you like them crunchy just throw them on top of the chicken.  I like them a little softer so I Microwave them for 3 minutes before I put them on. Chop up a little onion and toss in with the peppers.  Cover with your favorite pasta sauce, a can of diced tomatoes works good too. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes, cover with shredded mozarella cheese and bake another 10 minutes.  Probably could bake longer to get the peppers softer, but an hour works for me.
Dale