• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 155
Total: 156

Algae

Started by LizStreithorst, June 15, 2018, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have a group of 25 little snots coming in next week.  I just set up their container but it has no algae in it.  I'll feed my captain's pleco discs and zucchini but I would like a nice green water and algae growing on the tank walls.  I used a hand full of hay to get it started before but I no longer feed hay.  Any advice on what else I could use? 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 15, 2018, 11:27:50 AM
I have a group of 25 little snots coming in next week.  I just set up their container but it has no algae in it.  I'll feed my captain's pleco discs and zucchini but I would like a nice green water and algae growing on the tank walls.  I used a hand full of hay to get it started before but I no longer feed hay.  Any advice on what else I could use?

..hunk of lettuce....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

What kind of bn are they ?......some require more than algae...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

nothing fancy.  Just your normal snots.  Some brown some albino.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 15, 2018, 12:54:53 PM

....then they'll like Bob's pellets too......I feed the #40 pellet, teenie greenie when smaller, along with the algae tablets.....and get nice growth.... |^|......even 'guppy magic', etc as real young fry...
Jon

waterboy

I always feed them Zucchini, sometimes supplemented with shrimp pellets.  Zucchini is way cheaper than commercial foods and they love it.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on June 15, 2018, 03:27:42 PM
I always feed them Zucchini, sometimes supplemented with shrimp pellets.  Zucchini is way cheaper than commercial foods and they love it.

...yes it is......and the shrimp pellets rock....... |^|.....even blood worms on occasion too....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't have blood worms but I have freeze dried black worms.  I have seen the adult snots in my tanks chowing down on the black worms once the Discus and Angels take a break from devouring them.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 15, 2018, 06:17:22 PM
I don't have blood worms but I have freeze dried black worms.  I have seen the adult snots in my tanks chowing down on the black worms once the Discus and Angels take a break from devouring them.

.... |^|
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on June 15, 2018, 02:08:21 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 15, 2018, 12:54:53 PM

....then they'll like Bob's pellets too......I feed the #40 pellet, teenie greenie when smaller, along with the algae tablets.....and get nice growth.... |^|......even 'guppy magic', etc as real young fry...

The 'guppy magic' workied wonders on my fry. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

This is what they do to Zucchini.  These guys just lost their yolk sac about 2 days ago.
Dale

Mugwump

Jon