• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 156
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 151
Total: 152

Meatloaf

Started by LizStreithorst, June 14, 2018, 04:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Can anyone find my wonderful meatloaf recipe that has quick cooking oats and ground pork in it?  I have searched for it here in the house where I wrote it down and I know that I posted it here but I can't find it  here either.  Dennis loved it as much as I do.  I want to make it again.  It's too late to make it now so I'll have a burger with dill pickles.  If anyone here can find it for me I will make it tomorrow with a few twists of my own.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 14, 2018, 04:25:02 PM
Can anyone find my wonderful meatloaf recipe that has quick cooking oats and ground pork in it?  I have searched for it here in the house where I wrote it down and I know that I posted it here but I can't find it  here either.  Dennis loved it as much as I do.  I want to make it again.  It's too late to make it now so I'll have a burger with dill pickles.  If anyone here can find it for me I will make it tomorrow with a few twists of my own.

LizStreithorst

Re: I'm making .....
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

I'm making this meat loaf.  The recipe sounded good.  I've never been a fan of balsamic vinegar.  I decided it might be because I was buying cheap crap.  This time I splurged on this stuff that has been aged for 20 years.  I tasted it and the flavor is to die for.  .  OMG, what I have been missing out on all these years.  I'm also using Kraft Aged Reserve Cheddar.  Don't laugh about it being Kraft.  The cheese is superb.

Ingredients

1 large garlic clove
1/2 cup cubed (about 1/4-inch cubes) whole-wheat baguette, or other whole-grain chewy bread
1/4 cup dry red or white wine
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 large fresh basil leaves, torn
1 slice bacon, minced
1/2 cup (1-1/2 to 2 ounces) shredded Asiago or extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/4 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 large whole scallions, thinly sliced
1 large egg yolk
1 pound ground 85% beef chuck
1/2 cup dry red or white wine
Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350?F. Have a 9-inch square cake pan handy.

2. Turn on a food processor and drop in the garlic. Then drop in the bread cubes and process until pieces are a quarter the size of a pea. Scrape everything into a large bowl and moisten the crumbs with the wine. Let wine soak into the bread while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

3. Completely blend in all the remaining ingredients except the meat. Then work in the meat with a spoon until everything is thoroughly mixed. Turn the mixture into the pan and shape into a plump loaf.

4. Bake the meatloaf 20 minutes and pour the 1/2 cup of wine over it. Bake another 30 to 40 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices, or until an instant reading thermometer inserted into the meat loaf?s center reads 160?F. Remove the meatloaf from the oven; let it rest about 15 minutes, then slice for serving.
Modify message
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't think that that is it.  I saw that one it was not what I posted here.  I don't remember balsamic.  I don't remember bacon.  I don't remember the cheese.  This is not the right recipe.  Dennis could find it.  He loved it.  But he's not around much anymore.  My recipe called for quick cooking oats and ground pork.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 14, 2018, 05:17:19 PM
I don't think that that is it.  I saw that one it was not what I posted here.  I don't remember balsamic.  I don't remember bacon.  I don't remember the cheese.  This is not the right recipe.  Dennis could find it.  He loved it.  But he's not around much anymore.  My recipe called for quick cooking oats and ground pork.

...I looked at all the posts with 'meatloaf recipe'.....that was pretty much it....let me try another angle....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Here's the way I made it this time.  It's the best one I've ever made.  I used a lb of ground chuck and one choriso saucage.  I tossed in 1/2 a bottle of salsa and used quick cooking rather than bread crumbs.  I sauteed the veggies before I mixed it together.

For the sauce I mixed ketchup, mustard and brown sugar together.

I know it's just meatloaf but this one was memorable.

Oh fingerling taters and sweet baby carrots roasting snuggled up next it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Makes me in the mood for meat loaf.  I make mine with 2/3 ground chuck and 1/3 italian sausage, chopped onion, an egg, white bread crumbs,  chopped green pepper, lots of pepper, a good bit of salt, ketchup (the only time I use the vile stuff)  I grate my carrots and put them in the loaf itself.  Cooking it with small potatoes and cut up parsnips along side is more my style.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just made and ate mine.  Best thing I have ever eaten!  (I said that last week about my chicken stew)  I used 1/2 Italian sausage and 1/2 ground chuck.  A leaner cut of meat would work since the sausage itself is so fatty.  Onion, garlic, green pepper, green onions , carrots, Worcestershire, ketchup, bread crumbs and an egg.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jon

waterboy

I saved this when you posted it.  I don't know if it is the one you wanted or not.

Yessir.

3/4 lb ground chuck
1/4 lb choriso or Italian sausage
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green petter
8 oz salsa

1/3 c quick cook oatmeal
1 egg

Mix all together and form into loaf
Top with a mix of
1/3 c ketchup
2 T brown sugar
1 T good mustard

Bake at 375 for 1 hr.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on June 14, 2018, 05:51:31 PM
I saved this when you posted it.  I don't know if it is the one you wanted or not.

Yessir.

3/4 lb ground chuck
1/4 lb choriso or Italian sausage
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green petter
8 oz salsa

1/3 c quick cook oatmeal
1 egg

Mix all together and form into loaf
Top with a mix of
1/3 c ketchup
2 T brown sugar
1 T good mustard

Bake at 375 for 1 hr.

TA DA  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Bless you Dale.  I owe you one.

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 14, 2018, 06:42:18 PM

That's alright, it would probably be pretty dry by the time it got here anyway.  I have the recipe, I will make my own when I get a chance.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on June 15, 2018, 10:43:26 AM

That's alright, it would probably be pretty dry by the time it got here anyway.  I have the recipe, I will make my own when I get a chance.

........ huh........ ;)
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: waterboy on June 15, 2018, 10:43:26 AM

Actually I figured you would fly down here.  Making it yourself is a better idea.

waterboy

Dale