• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 06:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 260
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 258
Total: 259

Sleep radio

Started by Mugwump, June 06, 2018, 05:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

https://www.sleepradio.co.nz/listen

Sleep Radio: New Zealand station that wants listeners to switch off

Insomniacs across the world give the nod to John Watson, who has ambient music producers queueing up to feature on his channel

John Watson is the first to admit that his DJ skills put people to sleep. Luckily for him, that is the point.

For the past four years Watson, who lives in the tiny New Zealand township of Te Aroha, has been broadcasting to the world. But instead of seeking an engaged listenership, Watson wants those who tune into his station to literally fall asleep. And they do.

People from as far away as Afghanistan, Israel, Russia, Hungary, Taiwan and Puerto Rico log on to Watson's station Sleep Radio. Someone in Prague has been listening for three days straight.
New Zealand former sex worker becomes a dame in Queen's birthday honours
Read more

The idea of a radio station that sends listeners to sleep came to Watson after he had a heart attack 10 years ago. Following five coronary artery bypasses he began to suffer from chronic depression and insomnia.

"I never used to have trouble going to sleep but now I was lying awake watching the sun rise and feeling like a zombie," he said.

Watson, 62, was treated with medication and started seeing a counsellor who suggested he try relaxing, ambient music to help him sleep. Soon he found there was not a lot out there for sleep music aficionados.

"Even on the radio you would be listening to relaxing music, trying to get to sleep and, all of a sudden, an advert would come on, yelling at you to buy something."

Watson thought he could do better. He did his research, looking into royalty-free ambient music and taught himself how to set up a digital radio station. Sleep Radio was born.

He said the project is a "hobby and a passion". He often gets grateful listeners emailing him with their success stories, including a mother whose newborn baby is also seemingly a fan.

However, Watson is quick to say that ambient music does not work for everyone. His wife, for example, finds it too boring. Sleep Radio has now expanded into an app that allows people to set a timer for their listening.

Meanwhile Watson has not had to source new music for over a year. There are ambient music producers lining up to have people fall asleep to their material. However there are rules – no vocals, no piano, guitar or harp solos, and absolutely no ocean sounds or birdsong.

"I'm amazed at how many artists happily contribute," says Watson. "The ambient music genre isn't that popular so any airplay they can get is good for them."
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...i turn on the SiriusXM Spa station almost every night and set it to go off 1/2 after I go to bed... that usually corresponds with the timer shut off for  the aquarium lights...ZzZzZzZzZz..... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

My public radio station plays Ambient music Sunday nights.  I find it annoying and rather than suffer through two straight hours it before they switch to the BBC World Service at 11,  I just switch the radio off and sleep in beautiful silence.
Always move forward. Never look back.