• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 07:20:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 260
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 251
Total: 251

Another bit of good news...

Started by LizStreithorst, May 28, 2018, 09:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

...perhaps.  My discus pair spawned a couple of weeks ago.  My old Blue Scorpion female must have known that her old man had a few seeds left in him.  A lot of the eggs were eaten and the male only made two very halfhearted passes but I ended up with a couple of wigglers so his lady was right.  He is not completely sterile.

They spawned again last night.  I put a cage over the eggs.  The pair is dutifully fanning.  My hopes aren't high, but it they would have enough wigglers for them to bother raising up I would be so happy.  They're the parents of my best fish and I'd love a shot at getting another as good.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...cool beans.....good luck !!!!     |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

They have done it twice and failed both times.  I feel sorry for the poor male.  He wants kids so much but he can't get it down long enough to do the fertilizing part.  It's sad...The pair will try again in about a week.  I will not expect success but I will hope.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2018, 05:01:49 PM
They have done it twice and failed both times.  I feel sorry for the poor male.  He wants kids so much but he can't get it down long enough to do the fertilizing part.  It's sad...The pair will try again in about a week.  I will not expect success but I will hope.

I imagine you've tried bulking him up really good..... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They get fed 3 times a day.  I raise mosquito larvae just for my Discus.  The problem is that the male was fed testosterone when he was young.  It turned him from being a good fish into being a show quality fish, but it made his fertility greatly reduced.  He wants to but he just can't.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2018, 05:19:16 PM
They get fed 3 times a day.  I raise mosquito larvae just for my Discus.  The problem is that the male was fed testosterone when he was young.  It turned him from being a good fish into being a show quality fish, but it made his fertility greatly reduced.  He wants to but he just can't.

...that's too bad..... :'(..poor guy
Jon

LizStreithorst

It's so unfair to the fish but it makes big money for the exporters.  I didn't know about it until it happened to me.  Once I got to thinking about it, it happened to me once before a long time ago but I didn't realize it way back then.

I'm fixing to tell all about it on Simply.  I have hinted in my posts that I was about ready to go off and none of the big people slapped my knuckles with a ruler.  One of the somewhat big people actually said that he was interested in hearing what I have to say.

It's hard for me because all I have is my personal experience.  I do not have hard evidence and there is no way I can get hard evidence.  If I were so send a fish to a lab they would find nothing.  By the time I got the fish here in the States the hormones will have done their job and be out of their system.  All I have to do is get the right words all together in my head.  I'm getting very close.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2018, 05:50:11 PM
It's so unfair to the fish but it makes big money for the exporters.  I didn't know about it until it happened to me.  Once I got to thinking about it, it happened to me once before a long time ago but I didn't realize it way back then.

I'm fixing to tell all about it on Simply.  I have hinted in my posts that I was about ready to go off and none of the big people slapped my knuckles with a ruler.  One of the somewhat big people actually said that he was interested in hearing what I have to say.

It's hard for me because all I have is my personal experience.  I do not have hard evidence and there is no way I can get hard evidence.  If I were so send a fish to a lab they would find nothing.  By the time I got the fish here in the States the hormones will have done their job and be out of their system.  All I have to do is get the right words all together in my head.  I'm getting very close.

..test the bag water?......
Jon

LizStreithorst

No way.  Traces of the hormone is long gone.  It's like a woman taking the pill.  Once she quits taking it all traces of it are gone and she's fertile again.  You can't tell that she has ever been on the pill.  It's the same as the hormone implants that cattlemen put in the ears of their steers.  It's mostly testosterone  it makes the steers put on muscle but once the hormone wears out there is no trace of it in the meat of the steer.  That's why the meat from hormoned steers which you eat all the time is safe to eat.

I know all about this hormone stuff.  When I go off on Simply I will start a new thread.  I'm having a hard time putting all I know about hormones and their effects on animals all together in few words.  I want to drop a bomb.  I need to get it right in my head before I post.   

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2018, 06:44:55 PM
No way.  Traces of the hormone is long gone.  It's like a woman taking the pill.  Once she quits taking it all traces of it are gone and she's fertile again.  You can't tell that she has ever been on the pill.  It's the same as the hormone implants that cattlemen put in the ears of their steers.  It's mostly testosterone  it makes the steers put on muscle but once the hormone wears out there is no trace of it in the meat of the steer.  That's why the meat from hormoned steers which you eat all the time is safe to eat.

I know all about this hormone stuff.  When I go off on Simply I will start a new thread.  I'm having a hard time putting all I know about hormones and their effects on animals all together in few words.  I want to drop a bomb.  I need to get it right in my head before I post.

I just figured any fish waste, etc...would still be in the bag water....because they may be dosing prior to bagging just to bulk 'em for the difficult trip?

...after all, we do get it in our sewers and water supply...
Jon

LizStreithorst

You don't get t Mug.  The hormones are long gone from the fish's systems way before the breeder even sells them sells them to the exporter.  Sometimes the importer knows what's going on.  It's the new ones here in the States are the ones who get screwed and quit importing.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2018, 08:35:13 PM
You don't get t Mug.  The hormones are long gone from the fish's systems way before the breeder even sells them sells them to the exporter.  Sometimes the importer knows what's going on.  It's the new ones here in the States are the ones who get screwed and quit importing.

..ok......so they're raised on hormones.....gotcha.....I know what they do but figured it might be a one time thing at time of shipping...it sucks either way....

....my thinking is that they do test athletes/workers/etc with hair samples and urine tests..... huh...some hormones are used every three months...so it has to be stored and then passed from the body..... huh...but I bow to your expertise.. I have no idea which hormones are used ... huh
Jon