• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 112
Total: 112

Moisturizer

Started by Jdmcfast, October 20, 2012, 02:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

Does anyone have cure for "tank hands"? Or a suggestion of some kind of lotion or something that doesn't make me feel like I have to avoid my aquariums for the rest of the day? All this moving around and setting up I've been doing my hands are constantly dry,cracking, and itchy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Mugwump

Good old hand cream, but 'bag balm' works for me in the winter.....remember tho....wash it off before reaching in the tanks.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

They do make those big old long gloves.

Before I reach in the tanks I rinse with lots of clear water. Normally it's just a finger to check the temp, but it's a clean finger. And don't even ask "What finger?" LOL

JR

I use Corn Huskers works great. When I had my auto shop I was always in nasty stuff. Would dry my hands up. Used Corn Huskers every day. No more dry hands.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on October 20, 2012, 01:10:48 PM
I use Corn Huskers works great. When I had my auto shop I was always in nasty stuff. Would dry my hands up. Used Corn Huskers every day. No more dry hands.

Yeppers, both are similar.....<"Bag Balm" and "Corn Husker's Lotion" are both good for extreme dry skin. They are old-timey but fairly widely available. Bag Balm is like a very thick paste; Corn-Huskers is a liquid.>

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I use Burt's Bees Hand Salve.
It is great. Mostly bees wax.

When I was running the U of O fish room, we tested three hand lotions for toxicity to fish. All four passed: vasoline intensive care advanced healing, renew and protect, natural apricot, and great value soft soap antibacterial with moisturizers.

On the other hand, many lab gloves were toxic, latex gloves (powdered and not powdered). We did find blue nitrile gloves to be non-toxic.

Rjb3

Really, I thought all soap was bad for fish. Wow. And they thought I was too old to learn. LOL

BillT

The test was to apply and wash off quickly. Not much soap in that one I guess, or maybe a very soluble soap which will wash off quickly.

A reasonable warning is that there is nothing to prevent the manufacturer from changing the ingredients and creating toxicity. Things get changed all the time.

Rjb3

Yup. There's nothing like contacting a manufacturer and finding out they don't make a particular ingredient anymore. So, you change the recipe.

What other types of experiments did you do at U of O?

BillT

Many of these kinds of tests on many materials.

Such as:
Bad O-rings: n-buna, neoprene (although we found some neoprene tubing was OK), and EPDM (some bulkhead gaskets are made of EPDM). I usually just throw out the bulkhead gaskets and substitute Silicon aquarium sealer.

Lots of tubing: vinyl is bad.

Many (but not all) epoxy pastes made for use underwater are are toxic. Syntho-steel epoxy putty was OK.