• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 163
Total: 165

A question to the smart people who know genetics

Started by LizStreithorst, May 11, 2018, 02:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My Chef friend, Andy Wu has artificially raised his first batch of Angels.  He's on top of the world and has become totally obsessed with fish. 

Now the mama of that batch is back in a tank with other Angels and she wants a new lover.  All the males are in love with her and are trying to impress her and her ex is pissed.  She has a Blue Platinums and a Golds to choose from.  I'm pretty sure that all the fish are pearlscales because they all came from me.  I told him that I would ask my kind friends here what he might expect from both crosses.

If one of you smart folks is good enough to give me the answer I will make him come here to read it and I will ask him to join the forum so he can thank you.  He's forum averse for some reason but he needs to say thank you for information that I can't give him but y'all can.

Mama Bear ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

Would have to know what the female is in order to take a good guess.  Standard Silver? Sunset pearlscale? Platinum?
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 11, 2018, 02:53:23 PM
My Chef friend, Andy Wu has artificially raised his first batch of Angels.  He's on top of the world and has become totally obsessed with fish. 

Now the mama of that batch is back in a tank with other Angels and she wants a new lover.  All the males are in love with her and are trying to impress her and her ex is pissed.  She has a Blue Platinums and a Golds to choose from.  I'm pretty sure that all the fish are pearlscales because they all came from me.  I told him that I would ask my kind friends here what he might expect from both crosses.

If one of you smart folks is good enough to give me the answer I will make him come here to read it and I will ask him to join the forum so he can thank you.  He's forum averse for some reason but he needs to say thank you for information that I can't give him but y'all can.

Mama Bear ;D

I'd hope for a Sunset X  Platinum pairing.....giving you g/g - S/+ - +/pb.....then any sibling cross would get you some Platinum Paraibas...if that Plat is a ghost, more Sunsets too.......a gold crossing just gives you gold ghosts...g/g +/S......they'd all be 'het' pearl..

...how's the porridge  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Looks like all Gold Ghosts
Mom - Sunset Pearlscale g/g - S/S - p/p    Dad - Platinum g/g - pb/pb
Unique Genotypes: 1
Gold       g/g  - S/+ - +/pb - +/p    100.0%

Mom - Sunset Pearlscale g/g -  S/S -  p/p    Dad - Gold g/g
Unique Genotypes: 1
Gold       g/g  - S/+ - +/p    100.0%

You might ask him what the babies he has look like.  That would give a better idea of what other genes might be involved.

Dale

LizStreithorst

His babies are still to young to be able to tell.  He is the meticulous type.  Everything he does must be perfect.  He's shown me pics and he has around 100  and they look happy and healthy but they've only be free free swimming for a couple of weeks.

Mug, what does a Platinum Paraiba look like.  It sounds extremely interesting.

waterboy

I don't have any pictures but a Paraiba looks like a Silver Ghost except it is Blue and has the Blusher patches of blue. Might also have dark fins when young.
Dale

Mugwump

..above...I corrected it....I meant more Sunsets if the Plat was a ghost...they'd all be 'het' for pb tho..g/g S/S +/pb

Platinum Paraiba...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Oh my.  If he gets Platinum Paraiba's I'll be knocking at his door.  The fish turns me on.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 11, 2018, 04:43:20 PM
Oh my.  If he gets Platinum Paraiba's I'll be knocking at his door.  The fish turns me on.

..yes, they can be stunning... |^|
Jon

waterboy

Got any Blues?  A pair of Blue Ghosts will get you some of those.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on May 11, 2018, 07:22:03 PM

Got any Blues?  A pair of Blue Ghosts will get you some of those.

.....and g/g .....for Plat Paraiba
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know I have one at the shop.  It's a huge female.  I noticed it today as I was changing Magnum filters.  I'll see if I have another in there.  I don't pay much attention to that tank.  I call it "the happy hunting ground" but I swear, the fish I put in that tank live forever.

Mugwump

In case I missed it.....how old are Andy's fry now?.....has he got any pics?.. :)
Jon

LizStreithorst

I think they've been free swimming for a couple of weeks.  He showed me pics on his phone but since he's not here he can't post them.