• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 195
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Albino gene vs albino2 gene

Started by Mugwump, May 09, 2018, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

....I see some folks breeding for AlbinoA now......what are the differences between 'a' and 'A'.......both are recessive and won't express with a copy of each other...

...so how do you know which Albino gene that you're working with...... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on May 09, 2018, 05:26:43 PM
....I see some folks breeding for AlbinoA now......what are the differences between 'a' and 'A'.......both are recessive and won't express with a copy of each other...

Raiko is calling it (a2) not Albino A,so it would still be recessive.
He is using a2 for the Dantum albino gene,to distinguish it from non dantum blood albinos.   

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 09, 2018, 05:48:26 PM

He is using a2 for the Dantum albino gene,to distinguish it from non dantum blood albinos.   

...but as you noted...what if the Dantum is not an albino?.....then he's chasing a ghost..... huh.....as anyone asked Steve if he isolated the (a2) ?..that he suspected?
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on May 09, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

...but as you noted...what if the Dantum is not an albino?.....then he's chasing a ghost..... huh.....as anyone asked Steve if he isolated the (a2) ?..that he suspected?

I know about  dominate and recessive genes,but once I get into allele and locus i'm lost.
I assume Raiko is going to add what is being called a2 into every known genotype and see what the results are.
I'm just wondering if it's not a true albino gene on a different location,but rather something else like amelanistic would the results  be the same?

Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 09, 2018, 06:38:57 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 09, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

I know about  dominate and recessive genes,but once I get into allele and locus i'm lost.
I assume Raiko is going to add what is being called a2 into every known genotype and see what the results are.
I'm just wondering if it's not a true albino gene on a different location,but rather something else like amelanistic would the results  be the same?

'

....I look at 'amelanistic' an think of more random occurrences, than the Albino with a gene set going...
Jon

Mugwump

...also, what if (a2) is not Albino....but merely a modifier... huh
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on May 09, 2018, 07:12:33 PM
...also, what if (a2) is not Albino....but merely a modifier... huh

Maybe that is what Raiko is trying to  find out with his testing.
To see how it interacts with different genes.

Paul Simon

BillT

QuoteI know about  dominate and recessive genes,but once I get into allele and locus i'm lost.

The locus is basically a single gene at a certain location (a locus). There are normally two copies of each gene at it locus on each of the two chromosomes of a chromosome pair.
An allele is a different version of a particular gene. Different alleles can be dominant or recessive.
If there are two different versions, it is heterozygous.

I don't know the details of the discussion in the other forum, but assuming the Dantums and normal angelfish can be crossed then a version from one could be crossed into the other. Assuming they are different species, this would be called introgession, or introgressing the gene into the second species.

If the Dantums are a different species, it could have evolved a slightly different version of the gene, but basically the same.
Normally, a complementation test would determine if the were alleles (different version) of the same gene.
The easiest complementation test would be to cross together two fish homozygous for the different versions. If all the offspring are albino, they should be the same gene.
Or:
Cross two heterzygotes together and 1/4 should be albino. Its pretty similar to testing if an allele is dominant or recessive.

In zebrafish (a genetically well researched fish), I only know of one albino gene, but there are some amelanistic genes also (don't know their names since they have changed all the names recently.)

Modifiers are normally enhancers or suppressors. An enhancer would make a normally not observable trait (like albino) visible in a heterozygote.
A suppressor would made the homozygote look less like an albino.