• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148

Albinos...

Started by Babers, April 24, 2018, 01:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

I've had albinos before, had them to spawn, but can't just get the fry to survive in the first week.  I've read a few articles, but would like to hear from someone who has successfully raised some.

Anyone wish to share some info on how to raise these delicate babies? Looking for a Kinda "Albino fry rearing 101"  or "Albinos for dummies" kinda thing . 😁

Thanks
Joel

Babers

One of my pairs are producing albinos , but have not really done anything to attempt to raise the fry. So I would like to try and see what happens...
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 24, 2018, 02:15:11 PM
One of my pairs are producing albinos , but have not really done anything to attempt to raise the fry. So I would like to try and see what happens...

..keep the light dim/dimmer during the early stages....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

Thanks Jon. That's one suggestion I've read also. It says to keep the tank dim from eggs and keep it dim to a few weeks after freeswimming? Some say from wigglers. Idk.

I'm planning on doing this...feeding newly hatched bbs heavily, then removing excess food after they've all eaten. Feeding multiple times a day...3-4? Keeping the tank dim.

Any other suggestions??? Or am I overdoing it?  huh

Seems like a lot of work.... ???  :o
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 24, 2018, 08:28:11 PM
Thanks Jon. That's one suggestion I've read also. It says to keep the tank dim from eggs and keep it dim to a few weeks after freeswimming? Some say from wigglers. Idk.

I'm planning on doing this...feeding newly hatched bbs heavily, then removing excess food after they've all eaten. Feeding multiple times a day...3-4? Keeping the tank dim.

Any other suggestions??? Or am I overdoing it?  huh

Seems like a lot of work.... ???  :o

....not over doing it...just taking precautions  :).....you might find that vinegar eels or microworms work well early on....both stay alive in the water column longer.....and yes, too much light early can be the make/break issue...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

When I tried albino PB's years ago it was a TOTAL disaster,thousands died without getting a single fish to survive,just couldn't get them to feed.
I did manage to raise a few non PBs.

I had much better luck with the albino dantums,maybe because they were stronger,i did things differently or a combination of things.

Here is how I did mine.

Moved them  into a hang-on breeding box at free swimming,i used a marina 1.2 liter,the  bigger size might work too for a large spawn.

I cut off the (top flaps) off of the cardboard box that the breeder came in,and slipped it up from the bottom so the only thing uncovered was the top of the breeder box.

Cut a piece of sponge for the breeder box overflow,so they don't get washed into the tank.
Don't use to course of a sponge or the fry might get stuck in it.

The marina box has a hole in the top,i run a line into the box with an air stone.
Position the stone on one END of the box,not to much flow,just enough to keep the BBS SUSPENDED in the box,rather then settling on the bottom.

Cover PART  on the top of the box,leave the end WITH the stone uncovered so SOME light can get in.
I had a overhead light were mine were set up,so I left about 20% uncovered.
The fry seemed to move back and forth between the light and dark to feed,or at least had an option where they could see the BBS best.
As they grow I uncover more of the box.

I think  the air stone is critical,  keeps the BBS suspended,and the movement seems to attract them,or maybe the BBS is just hitting them in the head. ;D

I FLOOD them with BBS for the first few feedings,until you see that they are eating.
Make sure you remove excess BBS between feedings.
I turn OFF the overflow while i'm feeding,or the sponge might get plugged with the shrimp.
DON'T forget to turn it back on. ???

I use san fran (STRAIN) BBS,it's smaller and I think easier for them to handle.
Make sure you remove any excess between feedings.

Clean the box DAILY,if you don't there is an EXCELLENT   chance they will end up with screwed up ventral,they like to hug the bottom.

I pour the fry into a bowl while the clean the box,then pour them back in and refill with tank water.

I leave them in the box for a couple weeks,and then moved them into a 10,a smaller tank would be better but that's all I have.

Again keeping the bottom spotless to avoid ventral problems.

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on April 25, 2018, 07:08:40 AM
When I tried albino PB's years ago it was a TOTAL disaster,thousands died without getting a single fish to survive,just couldn't get them to feed.

I had much better luck with the albino dantums,maybe because they were stronger,i did things differently or a combination of things.

Here is how I did mine.

Moved them  into a hang-on breeding box at free swimming,i used a marina 1.2 liter,the  bigger size might work too for a large spawn.

I cut off the (top flaps) off of the cardboard box that the breeder came in,and slipped it up from the bottom so the only thing uncovered was the top of the breeder box.

Cut a piece of sponge for the breeder box overflow,so they don't get washed into the tank.

The marina box has a hole in the top,i run a line into the box with an air stone.
Position the stone on one END of the box,not to much flow,just enough to keep the BBS SUSPENDED in the box,rather then settling on the bottom.

Cover PART  on the top of the box,leave the end WITH the stone uncovered so SOME light can get in.
The fry seemed to move back and forth between the light and dark to feed,or at least had an option where they could see the BBS best.

I think  the air stone is critical,  keeps the BBS suspended,and the movement seems to attract them,or maybe the BBS is just hitting them in the head. ;D

I FLOOD them with BBS for the first few feedings,until you see that they are eating.
I turn OFF the overflow while i'm feeding,or the sponge might get plugged with the shrimp.

Clean the box DAILY,if you don't there is an EXCELLENT   chance they will end up with screwed up ventral,they like to hug the bottom.

I pour the fry into a bowl while the clean the box,then pour them back in and refill with tank water.

I leave them in the box for a couple weeks,and then moved them into a 10,a smaller tank would be better but that's all I have.

...good advice imho..... |^|..good write up, Greg..... |^|
Jon

ghonk

Thanks,how's that for overkill.LOL
It worked okay so I never changed the way I was doing it,although it was a LOT of work.

When I first start flooding them with BBS,there was always extra,so I had to pour them into a bowl after EVERY  feeding.
And suck up the excess with a pipette,that part SUCKS. ;D
Paul Simon

Babers

That is really a great write up. Great info. I can just imagine all the time you put into the dantums. Hope it works out for me as well. Thanks Greg.

Joel

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 25, 2018, 07:14:02 AM
Quote from: ghonk on April 25, 2018, 07:08:40 AM

Here is how I did mine.

...good advice imho..... |^|..good write up, Greg..... |^|

That's great advice Greg. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

Thanks Joel and Willie.

Here is a vid with the setup,BEFORE I'm started using the cardboard box deal,at the time I was just draping some paper over the breeder box to cut out some light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODiLEBLvevg
Paul Simon

Babers

Here are the wigglers...3 days before freeswimming. I think I can see some albinos already  :) I better get my rearing box ready...

Joel

Babers

Okay...these babies came from my Halfblack het pb pair. I didn't bother with the albinos before because I wanted to focus on producing the blue halfblack angels. But now that I've got those, it's time to see if I can produce albino halfblacks....
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 30, 2018, 04:51:27 PM
Okay...these babies came from my Halfblack het pb pair. I didn't bother with the albinos before because I wanted to focus on producing the blue halfblack angels. But now that I've got those, it's time to see if I can produce albino halfblacks....

Albino half blacks.....HHmmmmm.....interesting trying to picture that....
Jon

ghonk

How do you have them set up,are they feeding?
Paul Simon