• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 06:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 285
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 302
Total: 302

Albinos...

Started by Babers, April 24, 2018, 01:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Quote from: Babers on May 02, 2018, 09:18:36 PM
They're still good. I've removed the foam/filter on the drain part of the Breeding box and just kept the plastic grill. The fry are big enough that they will not go thru it anymore.

They are looking really good. Congrats. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Babers

Joel

ghonk

You have it made now,getting them  to START feeding is the hardest part.
Keep the box EXTRA clean,to avoid bad ventrals.
I raised a batch of about 35 to near pea size before excepting they were going to have NO ventrals.
Ton of work wasted,only to pitch them. 
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Babers

I'm increasing light exposure day by day so their sensitive eyes gets used to it. No problem eating. I'm trying to balance the light/dim so they don't stay at bottom of tank. Trying to keep the tank as clean as I can too. Thanks again Greg.  :)
Joel

Babers

Albinos are now in their own tank. Eating good. Still has sensitivity to too much light but they can see good with ambient light coming from ceiling. Ventrals are starting to come out. They are staying away from the tank bottom...like I asked them too, lol.
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on May 08, 2018, 08:34:03 AM
Albinos are now in their own tank. Eating good. Still has sensitivity to too much light but they can see good with ambient light coming from ceiling. Ventrals are starting to come out. They are staying away from the tank bottom...like I asked them too, lol.

..excellent !
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

pwsusi

I have a batch of Albino Dantum that will go free swimming in a couple of days. I've been unsuccessful raising albino in the past so any tips are appreciated. I have them i an angelsplus fry rearing jar, and when it's time to feed I lower the water in the jar so there's only about 1/2'' above the sponge and feed a mixture of bbs, microworms, spirulina powder and a small amount of hard boiled egg yolk. I also cover the jar mostly so it's not too bright. The stupid fry just won't seem to eat....they bounce around like they're eating but never get full bellies and after a few days just die off.

Mugwump

Quote from: pwsusi on May 08, 2018, 04:49:14 PM
I have a batch of Albino Dantum that will go free swimming in a couple of days. I've been unsuccessful raising albino in the past so any tips are appreciated. I have them i an angelsplus fry rearing jar, and when it's time to feed I lower the water in the jar so there's only about 1/2'' above the sponge and feed a mixture of bbs, microworms, spirulina powder and a small amount of hard boiled egg yolk. I also cover the jar mostly so it's not too bright. The stupid fry just won't seem to eat....they bounce around like they're eating but never get full bellies and after a few days just die off.

I've always liked the 2 1/2's....easier to keep clean....early on just cut the air and feed.....I've never mixed a food cocktail either....just one type food per feeding....as far as the egg yolk stuff....?....
I refuse to use it.....way too messy and hard to clean up.....small early hatched bbs usually does it....and you can really see if they're eating, or not.....I like micro worms too....they survive longer in the water column that other food.......if using an air stone?...instead try the small stick to the side sponges......much easier water movement, and doesn't roll the bottom water like the stones....plus the sponge attracts the uneaten food that they like to forage on.......you can cycle that mini sponge in a day..using another tank....even keep fresh sponges going to just swap out during changes.........the water will remain very fresh with less parameter swings at water change time because your tank will be cycled and stable....happy fry.....

...don't be Dr House...... ;D......steady as she goes Capt'n... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on May 08, 2018, 05:05:50 PM
.instead try the small stick to the side sponges......much easier water movement, and doesn't roll the bottom water like the stones....plus the sponge attracts the uneaten food that they like to forage on.......

Which stick to the side sponges would that be?  I have cut some matten filters for my 2-1/2s and they seem to work pretty good.  Always open to new ideas.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on May 08, 2018, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 08, 2018, 05:05:50 PM
.instead try the small stick to the side sponges......much easier water movement, and doesn't roll the bottom water like the stones....plus the sponge attracts the uneaten food that they like to forage on.......

Which stick to the side sponges would that be?  I have cut some matten filters for my 2-1/2s and they seem to work pretty good.  Always open to new ideas.

..something like this... http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/elite-single-sponge-filter.html

or like mine's like this except a single.......http://discususa.com/epages/837c2f23-61ea-4645-82f2-3b56290a54a4.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/837c2f23-61ea-4645-82f2-3b56290a54a4/Products/%22double%20sponge%20filter%20for%20grow%20out%20tanks.%22/SubProducts/%22double%20sponge%20filter%20for%20grow%20out%20tanks.-0001%22

..they're only a few inches tall....whole fixture
Jon

Babers

Hi Paul...I just basically followed Greg's Set up. I use a breeding box and hang it on the side of a 10 gal tank. I flood them with bbs when feeding and leave the bbs for an hour with a little air coming from an airstone. After an hour, I turn the air back on the breeder tank and let that clear as much bbs out of the Breeder tank. After another half an hour, I clean what's left. I do water changes daily on the 10 gal tank. I've got some non albino fry in  the 10 gal tank that will eat the excess bbs (no waste of food 🙂). I only use ambient lighting and cover the top.  I feed 4 times a day on the first few days, so if they didn't get to eat much from previous feeding, they can eat more.

I didn't use the angelsplus jar because the fry are not fast enough to find and eat the bbs in the first few days (I'm not worried about the ventrals yet in the first week anyway).  The bbs will just go through the pores of the foam and not get eaten.  I was gonna use the jar after a week, but seems like they're big enough to handle their own tank....as long as you keep the lighting balance, so the fry won't settle at the bottom of the tank.

Approx 90% of the albino fry I separated made it by doing this method. This is what worked for me. Hope it helps.
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on May 08, 2018, 08:21:41 PM
Hi Paul...I just basically followed Greg's Set up. I use a breeding box and hang it on the side of a 10 gal tank. I flood them with bbs when feeding and leave the bbs for an hour with a little air coming from an airstone. After an hour, I turn the air back on the breeder tank and let that clear as much bbs out of the Breeder tank. After another half an hour, I clean what's left. I do water changes daily on the 10 gal tank. I've got some non albino fry in  the 10 gal tank that will eat the excess bbs (no waste of food 🙂). I only use ambient lighting and cover the top.  I feed 4 times a day on the first few days, so if they didn't get to eat much from previous feeding, they can eat more.

I didn't use the angelsplus jar because the fry are not fast enough to find and eat the bbs in the first few days (I'm not worried about the ventrals yet in the first week anyway).  The bbs will just go through the pores of the foam and not get eaten.  I was gonna use the jar after a week, but seems like they're big enough to handle their own tank....as long as you keep the lighting balance, so the fry won't settle at the bottom of the tank.

Approx 90% of the albino fry I separated made it by doing this method. This is what worked for me. Hope it helps.

..nice job.....sounds like you'll get a decent batch.... |^|
Jon

ghonk

Frank's albino HB.

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

...'het' half black more than likely.....
Jon

Mugwump

Paul, Greg, Dale...Joel, have you tried green water ?
Jon